We in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships are excited to work with you and your family to ensure your education is funded over the course of your degree.
At Southern, we offer a comprehensive financial aid package that includes grants, loans, scholarships and part-time employment. Funding is available from federal and state governments along with private sponsors and university resources. All you need to do is file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We are here to guide you along this process so please do not hesitate to contact us with any of your financial aid questions.
Financial Aid Step by Step
- The only aid application required by Southern is the Free Application for Federal Student (FAFSA).
- The FAFSA can be completed online at http://studentaid.gov or by downloading the “My StudentAid App” on any mobile device.
- SCSU’s school code – 001406
- Be sure to accept your offer of admission by viewing your decision letter on the Admissions Portal at https://southernct.force.com/undergraduate, clicking on the “Reply to Offer” button and submitting the $200 non-refundable tuition deposit.
- Your Banner Web user name is automatically generated and is shown in your application portal and on your financial aid award letter
- Your Banner Web initial password will be SCSU! Followed by the two digit month, day and year of your birthday (SCSU!mmddyy)
- Go to https://login.southernct.edu
- Enter your User Name and Password and click Sign In
- Select Banner Web
- Select Financial Aid
- Select Award
- Select Award for Aid Year
- Select Aid Year and click Submit
- Select Accept Award Offer to view and accept your awards
- Once you accept the aid, scroll down to view the requirements that must be completed in order for your financial aid to credit your university account. Please note you can accept your financial aid now, but the loan requirements listed below should not be completed until on or after April 15.
If your FAFSA has been selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, you will be required to confirm that data provided on the FAFSA. We have partnered with a company called Inceptia which will help students and their parents complete this process through their online portal.
First time borrowers of Federal Direct Loans must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling (EC) before their loans can be marked ready for disbursement.
- Go to https://studentaid.gov
- Log in using your FSA ID
- Under the “Complete a Process” tab select “Complete a MPN”
- Complete the form and submit
- Under the “Complete a Process” tab select “Complete Entrance Counseling”
- Answer all the questions and submit
Your award package may be subject to change from year to year. Living on campus versus commuting along with availability of funds are just two of the many factors used to determine the financial aid award. If you reported your housing status incorrectly on the FAFSA, be sure to complete the Change of Award form to have your aid updated accordingly.
Additionally, please notify our office by completing the Change of Award form if you will not be attending full-time (12.0 credits for undergraduate, 9.0 credits for graduate students) as all financial aid awards are based on full-time status.
If you still have a balance or need additional funding, please consider some of the following options.
- Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parent of Undergraduate Students
- If a Parent PLUS loan is denied the student will receive an additional Unsubsidized loan in the student’s name
- Can apply starting in April
- Alternative Loans – student may require a co-signer
- Payment Plan through Student Accounts
- 7-month Payment Plan starts in April (sign up through Student Accounts)
- Private Scholarships - research and apply for scholarships