New & Transfer Undergraduate Financial Aid

We in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships are excited to work with you and your family to ensure your education is funded over the course of your degree.

At Southern, we offer a comprehensive financial aid package that includes grants, loans, scholarships and part-time employment.  Funding is available from federal and state governments along with private sponsors and university resources.  All you need to do is file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  We are here to guide you along this process so please do not hesitate to contact us with any of your financial aid questions.

Contact Us


a group of cheerleading students

Financial Aid Step by Step

  • Be sure to accept your offer of admission by completing the steps outlined in your Applicant Status Page:
  • If you are a first-time freshman or transfer student and have not provided your SSN to admissions, please CLICK HERE to do so.  You must login with the same email used to complete the Common App and enter your password.  Once entered, it takes approximately 48 hours to process.
  • Your Banner user name is automatically generated and is shown in your application portal and on your financial aid award letter
  • Your Banner initial password will be SCSU! Followed by the two digit month, day and year of your birthday (SCSU!mmddyy)
  • Go to
  • Enter your User Name and Password and click Sign In
  • Select Banner Student
  • Select Financial Aid
  • Select the Award Offer tab
  • Scroll down to view and accept or decline your pending aid
  • Please note you can accept your financial aid now, but the loan requirements listed below should not be completed until on or after April 15.

After the aid is accepted or declined, you cannot make adjustments online. The easiest way to make a change is to complete the Change of Award form.

Answer the Mandatory Financial Aid Authorization Questions:

  • Go to
  • Enter your Username and Password
  • Click Sign In
  • Select Banner Student
  • Select Financial Aid
  • Select View Questions on the Home tab
  • Scroll past the first empty box (do not type in this box)
  • Answer the two questions
  • Click Submit the Information (You may see the answers revert back to being blank)
  • Go to the Resources tab to verify your answers

If your FAFSA has been selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, you will be required to confirm the data provided on the FAFSA.  We have partnered with a company called Inceptia which will help students and their parents complete this process through their online portal.

First time borrowers of Federal Direct Loans must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling (EC) before their loans can be marked ready for disbursement.

  • Go to
  • Log in using your FSA ID
  • Under the “Complete a Process” tab select “Complete a MPN”
    • Complete the form and submit
  • Under the “Complete a Process” tab select “Complete Entrance Counseling”
    • Answer all the questions and submit

Your award package may be subject to change from year to year.  Living on campus versus commuting along with availability of funds are just two of the many factors used to determine the financial aid award.  If you reported your housing status incorrectly on the FAFSA, be sure to complete the  Change of Award form to have your aid updated accordingly.

Additionally, please notify our office by completing the Change of Award form if you will not be attending full-time (12.0 credits for undergraduate, 9.0 credits for graduate students) as all financial aid awards are based on full-time status.

Please click here to view the estimated annual direct and indirect costs.

If you still have a balance or need additional funding, please consider some of the following options.

  • Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parent of Undergraduate Students
    • If a Parent PLUS loan is denied the student will receive an additional Unsubsidized loan in the student’s name
    • Can apply starting in May
  • Alternative Loans – student may require a co-signer
    • Please note that if you plan to take out an alternative loan for winter or summer, you must file a separate loan application for each of those sessions.
  • Payment Plan through Student Accounts
  • Private Scholarships - research and apply for scholarships

If your family has experienced a significant change after completing the FAFSA, please reach out to us to see how we can help.  Visit our Special or Unusual Circumstances page for more information.


Nine students in front of Buley Library