Financial Aid FAQ

To apply for financial aid, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which is available on October 1. We recommend completing the FAFSA online at; however, a paper copy can be obtained by calling the Federal Student Aid information center at 1-800-4-FEDAID. Students also can download a PDF version of the FAFSA by visiting

Students who electronically sign and submit a valid FAFSA to the federal processor by the priority date will have their financial aid file reviewed before bills are due and may receive the maximum gift aid based on availability.

The priority date for filing the FAFSA is March 15. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships must receive a complete and valid Institutional Student Information Report from the federal processor by the priority date in order for the FAFSA to be considered on time.

Not necessarily. However, the federal government randomly selects financial aid applicants for a review process called "verification." As a result, we may be required to collect copies of the documentation you used to complete the FAFSA. Students are notified by SCSU e-mail if additional information is required. Financial aid applicants will not receive a financial aid package until all required documentation has been submitted to and reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

The Title IV code is 001406.

Yes, it is in your best interest to submit your FAFSA by the priority date even if you have not been accepted into the University. However, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will not process your application until you have been officially accepted as a matriculated student either by the Undergraduate Admissions Office or the Office of Graduate Studies.

Your financial aid application will be considered late. You may not have financial aid in place by the bill due date.  You are urged to file your FAFSA online and to utilize the electronic signature component available to you upon completion of the application.

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships generally begins mailing award notification during the month of March for new incoming students and June for continuing students. However, those students selected for "verification" by the federal processor will be required to submit required documents prior to receiving their award notification. Students need to submit all requested documents by June 22 in order to receive an award notification before bills are due. Also, students need to complete the loan requirements (master promissory note, entrance counseling, etc.) by June 24 in order for the financial aid to be credited against their university charges.

Yes. Your financial aid package is based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, the information you provide on the FAFSA, current enrollment status, grade level, additional resources and scholarships, etc. Therefore, any changes or discrepancies may result in adjustments to your aid.

Federal financial aid is not available for the winter and spring intersessions.  For those sessions, you need to pay out-of-pocket or use a private loan.

To determine your eligibility for summer aid, you must complete a 2019-2020 FAFSA and the SCSU 2020 Summer Financial Aid Application.  Undergraduates must enroll for 6 or more credits and graduates must enroll for 4.5 or more credits during the summer session. The summer application becomes available on the first Monday in March 2020 and must be submitted no later than the first Monday in May 2020. The deadline for submitting the 2020 Summer Financial Aid Application will be posted on the form.  Late applicants will not be accepted. See "How to Apply for Financial Aid?" for additional requirements.

Yes. You must pay your bill on time.  If your financial aid is not credited to your university account by the payment due date, you are required to pay the bill. The fall semester bill is due on July 15th and the spring semester bill is due on December 15th.

Please allow three to five business days for processing and up to two weeks during peak periods (May - August).

If you cannot answer 'Yes' to any question under Step Three (questions 46 - 58) listed here: Dependency Section, then you must provide your parents' information on your FAFSA.  If you feel extenuating circumstances exist that prevent you from including your parents' information, then please contact our office to speak with a financial aid counselor.  Financially supporting yourself and living on your own is NOT considered an extenuating circumstance.

Our office will start receiving the Master Promissory Notes and Plus credit decisions in June.  You may confirm these requirements were completed successfully by logging into  If you do not see the requirement on your Banner Web account satisfied by end of June, please contact our office.