Student Records

Go green! Many official records may be requested and sent online.


Diplomas are issued when a student has successfully completed all degree and program requirements. Parchment, Inc. is the official provider of official diplomas for Southern. The Registrar’s Office begins awarding degrees once grades are posted at the end of each term or part-of-term (est. time: 2-4 weeks).

Expected Delivery Times

Once the degree has been awarded, students are notified in their Southern email within 1-2 weeks with instructions on how to access their official transcript and e-diploma to share with family, friends, and employers.  A paper diploma/certificate will be issued to the mailing address on file within 4-6 weeks.  There is no fee charged for the original diploma/certificate. Diplomas are not issued at Commencement event.

Diploma Information 
Your diploma name, degree, major, and Latin honors (if applicable). Concentrations and minors are not printed on the diploma but will be noted on the transcript. Please email your degree auditor to update the name you would like printed on your diploma/certificate, prior to your degree being awarded.

Reprints and Replacements

Students may order a duplicate or replacement diploma for a non-refundable $25 fee charged at the time of order.

Directory Information may be disclosed at the discretion the university without consent from the student for the purposes listed below. Students may request that the university not disclose their directory information (see Form). This will mark a student's record confidential, except that there can be no expectation that a student can remain anonymous within a class, even with the confidentiality indicator.

Purposes of access by school officials of the Colleges and Universities governed by the CT Board of Regents for Higher Education, the following is designated as Directory Information: student’s legal name, permanent mailing address, month and day of birth, photographs, student identification number, User ID, or other unique identifier, email address, telephone number, university or college previously attended or currently attending, dates of attendance, full vs. part-time student status, academic honors and awards, class standing/year, major, minor, concentration and/or program of study, degree(s)/certificate(s) candidacy, degree(s)/certificate(s) earned, previous institutions attended, graduation expected/completion dates.

Purposes of access by military recruiters only, the following is designated as Directory Information (Student Recruiting Information): student's legal name, permanent mailing address, email address issued by the institution, telephone number, age, place of birth, class standing/year, major and/or program of study, degrees received, most recent educational institution attended.

For purposes of participation in any recognized activity or sports, the following is designated as Directory Information: student's preferred name, city and state of residence, dates of attendance, class standing/year, recognized activity or sport, team performance statistics, team position, photos and videos, academic honors and awards, height and weight of athlete.

For purposes of disclosure to/access by the general public, the following is designated as Directory Information: student's preferred name, permanent mailing address, photographs, dates of attendance, major, minor, concentration and/or program of study, degree/certificate candidacy, degree(s)/certificate(s) earned, academic honors and awards, full vs. part-time status, anticipated graduation date, graduation date

    National Student Clearinghouse is the official verification service for Southern.

    Download an Enrollment Verification certificate:

    • Login to MySCSU
    • Banner Student
    • Records and Registration
    • Enrollment Verification
    • National Student Clearinghouse will launch and present 3 options:
      • Select "Advanced Registration" for upcoming term. 
      • Select "Current Enrollment" for current term (available 30 days after start of term, once student attendance has been verified).
      • Select "All Enrollment" for verification of all prior and current terms.

    Need something else?

    1. If you do not have a certificate available for instant download above (no SSN on file with the university), submit this Enrollment Verification Form to request a letter certifying your enrollment from the Registrar's Office.

    2. If you need a form completed for another agency, submit this Enrollment Verification Form along with the agency form that you need us to complete, and we will let you know once it has be sent. 

    3. If you have a in-school loan deferment form for a student loan company, email it directly to If you have more than one loan holder, you must provide a separate form for each. Make sure each form lists your full name, SSN, date of birth, loan holders address, and your signature (e-signatures not accepted). We will send your form to the National Student Loan Clearinghouse on your behalf and they will notify your lender directly once they certify your enrollment.

    4. If you need a letter of good standing, or a letter of non-attendance at Southern, please email with your request and we will email the letter back to you.

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

    1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the College or University receives a request for access.

    Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College or University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College or University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

    2. The right to request amendment of an education record that the student believes is inaccurate.

    Students may ask an appropriate College or University official to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate, misleading or a violation of the student’s right to privacy. However, FERPA is not intended to provide a process to question substantive judgments that are correctly recorded. Consequently, FERPA amendment requests do not allow a student to contest a grade in a course because the student believes that a higher grade should have been assigned.

    To request amendment of an education record, the student should write to the official, clearly identifying the part of the record he or she wants changed and specifying why he/she believes it is inaccurate. The institution will notify the student of the decision. If the institution decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, a College or University official will advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

    3. The right to provide written consent before the College or University discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

    FERPA permits disclosure without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials who have a legitimate educational interest. A "school official" is a person employed by a College or University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the Board of Regents; an employee of the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities system office; or, a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of the College or University who performs an institutional service or function for which the College or University would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the College or University with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the College or University. Upon request, the College or University also discloses education records to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll without the prior consent of, or notice to, the student.

    FERPA also permits disclosure of education records without consent in connection with, but not limited to:

    • To comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena;
    • To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency;
    • In connection with a student's request for or receipt of financial aid, as necessary to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid;
    • To certain officials of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General, to state and local educational authorities, in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs;
    • To accrediting organizations to carry out their functions; 
    • To organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the College or University;
    • The results of an institutional disciplinary proceeding against the alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence to the alleged victim of that crime with respect to that crime.
    • Directory information as defined in the policy of the Board of Regents.

    4. The right to refuse to permit the College or University to release Directory Information about the student, except to school officials with a legitimate educational interest and others as indicated in paragraph 3 above.

    To do so, a student exercising this right must notify the University's or College's Registrar, in writing. Once filed, this notification becomes a permanent part of the student's record until the student instructs the University or College, in writing, to remove it. A student may exercise his or her right to opt out of Directory Information, prohibiting disclosure of the student's information without the student's consent as noted in section 3, except however, that pursuant to the Solomon Amendment, military recruiters must be provided the same access to student information as is provided to nonmilitary recruiters.

    5. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Colleges to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, DC 20202-4605.

    Legal Name and Sex
    Students may file a Personal Information Change to change their legal first name, legal last name, or legal sex (male/female), with supporting documentation. 

    Chosen Name
    Current students may submit a chosen first name to be used that is different from their legal first name:

    • Login to MySCSU
    • Banner Student
    • Records and Registration
    • My Contact Information
    • Make Updates and Submit

    A chosen first name will replace a student's legal first name as it appears in on class rosters, unofficial transcripts, degree evaluations, email profiles, and mail logs/guest sign ins. Upon request at the Card Office, a chosen first name can be updated on the student's Hoot Loot ID card. Financial aid, bill statements, and official transcripts will continue to display a student's legal name.

    Gender Identity
    Students may submit a Gender Identity (ex. female/woman) in Banner Student using the same steps outlined above for Chosen Name. Gender identity is not displayed for general access by faculty or staff.

    Students may submit pronouns (ex. she/her/hers) using the same steps outlined above for Chosen Name. A student's personal pronouns currently appear in the Banner Student and Banner Faculty/Advisor self-service portals, including class rosters and degree evaluations. 

    Current Students may authorize or revoke the disclosure of academic or financial record information to a parent, guardian, or other third party at anytime through Banner Student self-service:

    • Log into MySCSU
    • Banner Student
    • Records and Registration
    • Authorization to Release Records
    • Select Financial, Academic, or Both
    • Set up a 4-digit access pin for the authorized user

    Former Students may submit a Release of Record to request the release of education records from the Registrar's Office. Note: Do not use this form for transcript requests; see Transcripts to request an official transcript.

    Generally, a student’s residency for the purpose of tuition and fees is determined at the time of application for admission as either in-state, out-of-state, or international.

    Any student who believes they qualify for (1) in-state tuition as a resident of Connecticut in accordance with Connecticut General Statute 10a-26, or (2) the New England, New Jersey, New York, or Pennsylvania tuition discount as a resident of one of those states, may file this application at any time to request a change of residency.

    As a reminder...

    • You may or may not be called for an interview.
    • You will receive notification of your application status within 1-2 weeks. 
    • If approved, reclassification will not be retroactive to prior semesters.   
    • The Student Code of Conduct prohibits the act of providing false information to school officials. 

    For questions about residency please contact the Registrar's Office directly at or call (203) 392-5301.

    Southern credits may also be applied towards your Connecticut State Community College AA/AS Degree!

    Earning your associate degree is an important milestone, you are more likely to complete your bachelor's degree, and it can provide better job opportunities while in school.  Employers value the associate degree as evidence of your commitment to expanding your knowledge.

    Reverse Transfer Criteria

    • Previously attended at a Connecticut State Community College and earned at least 45 credits.
    • Must be a current undergraduate degree-seeking student who has earned at least 15 credits.

    Eligible students are notified by the Registrar's office annually in January.  Upon notification, you may submit the Reverse Transfer Application and an official Southern transcript to the Connecticut State Community College that you previously attended.  Southern courses will be evaluated by the community college and are subject to the degree requirements of your associate degree program.


    Parchment, Inc. is the official provider of official transcripts for Southern.

    Current Students

    Parchment, Inc. delivers official e-Transcripts via email within 24 hours or a paper transcript can be mailed within 1-2 weeks. There is no fee to order an official transcript.

    • Login to MySCSU
    • Banner Student
    • Records and Registration
    • Official Transcript

    Former Students

    Parchment, Inc. delivers official e-Transcripts via email within 24 hours or a paper transcripts can be mailed within 1-2 weeks. There is no fee to order an official transcript.

    • Order online with Parchment, Inc. 
    • If you have never ordered a Southern transcript before you must create a New User account; otherwise, log in as a Returning User.
    • During the order process select either paper (mailed) or electronic (pdf) along with the e-mail/mailing address information.

    Emergency Transcripts

    Students requiring an immediate transcript in-person at the Registrar's Office during normal business hours must pay a $15.00 fee for this service.  Please be sure to have a valid and unexpired government or school-issued photo ID.  Acceptable forms of photo ID include:

    • Southern Connecticut State University ID Card; or
    • Driver's License or state issued non-driver ID; or
    • Federally-recognized identification such as a military ID, passport, permanent resident card, naturalization card, or certificate of citizenship