Office of Residence Life Mission, Vision and Social Justice Statement
Social Justice Statement
The Office of Residence Life works to challenge systems of oppression that marginalize individuals and communities based on social identities. We support our social justice leaders on and off campus. We are committed to enabling constructive dialogues where we treat one another with dignity, respect, empathy, kindness, and civility as we share varying perspectives, with the goal of creating an inclusive community. In doing so, we will help prepare students to participate in communities within our residence halls, the campus at large, and beyond. Our goal is to educate all individuals and instill greater awareness of self and society.
The Office of Residence Life promises to uphold the following actions:
- We will provide opportunities to our staff to engage in departmental committees where multiple perspectives will be respected and welcomed.
- We will provide forums as a safe space to allow discussion and address systemic barriers.
- We will partner with on-campus resources to provide educational opportunities on social justice topics.
- We will continue to assess the accessibility of employment opportunities.
- We will hire people who reflect the diversity of our residential body.
- We will strive to educate ourselves and others on our hidden biases as well as hidden identities.
- We will strive to encourage all individuals to address and intervene when injustices occur.
- We will address behaviors that undermine diversity, equity, and inclusion in a holistic and direct approach.