Hall Move Out and Closing
The residence halls will be closing for the spring semester at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 13, 2022. At this time, the residence halls will officially be closed for the spring. Students are required to move out of their residence halls on the day of their last final exam.
Students who need to remain on campus beyond Friday, May 13th due to class, Senior week or extenuating circumstances, must submit a request to stay late through their MyHousing Portal. Requests to stay late must be submitted by May 12th.
Request To Stay Late Summer Housing Information
The Office of Residence Life is pleased to announce that all residence halls will now participate in the express checkout process. Express checkout offers students an efficient way to check out of their residential assignment at their convenience. Please review the information below regarding check out.
Before Leaving for summer break, you must properly check out of your room by completing the following steps
- Take home all of your personal belongings.
- Dust, vacuum and/or mop the floors.
- Take all garbage to the dumpster adjacent to your residence hall.
- Lock all windows and close all curtains and blinds.
- Remove any tape, hooks, etc. from walls/ceilings
- Unplug and fully defrost and clean microfridge unit.
- Leave your modems and cable boxed plugged in.
- Notify your Resident Advisor, email your Hall Director or place an online maintenance request to inform us of any maintenance concerns in your room
- Follow any additional closing procedures set forth by your hall director. These procedures can be obtained through your halls main office.
- Complete the Express Checkout key envelope, enclose your key, seal the envelope, and return your key to a staff member at the front desk.
If you find that you have unwanted, gently used items, please consider donating to the Thrifty Owl or to the non-perishable food drive. Bins will be in your Residence Hall Lobbies through the end of the semester.
Suite Style Apartment-Style Traditional-Style
- Attend the mandatory closing floor meeting and receive a full explanation of the express checkout process.
- Clean your room thoroughly following the suggested guidelines below and in cooperation with your roommate(s), if applicable.
- Complete the Express Checkout Agreement and Closing Report taped to your room door.
- Be sure to note any damages or work orders needed
- Fill out the express checkout envelope, place your key inside, and seal the envelope shut.
- Return your signed express checkout envelope by physically handing the envelope to a Residence Life staff member; staff will be at the front desk between 8:30 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. beginning Monday, May 9th.
- Check your Southern email in the two (2) weeks following your departure for any follow-up communications regarding the condition of your room or associated damage charges.
Please note: participants in the Express Checkout process waive their right to appeal damage charges under $150.
Cleaning and Condition of Room
- Whether you are the first person to leave the room or the last person to leave, all roommates are equally responsible for the condition of the room. Any damage or cleaning charges will be split between/among all residents unless one resident takes responsibility for the damage or cleaning fees.
- Split up cleaning tasks equally including (but not limited to) the following tasks:
- Bring trash and recycling to outside dumpsters
- Wipe down furniture (including the inside of the drawers)
- Clean/vacuum/sweep floors
- Clean out refrigerator and freezer
- Clean microwave inside and out
- Clean out closets and wipe down shelves and cabinets, where applicable
- Remove tape, command strips, hooks, and other wall hangings carefully to avoid damage
- Apartment rooms: wipe down countertops, kitchen sink and stove, etc.
Ensure all university items are left behind and remain in the room including (but not limited to) the following items:
- Cable remotes
- Cable cords and boxes
- HDMI cord (if applicable)
- Surge protector strip
- Recycling bin (if applicable)
Damage pricing examples include but are not limited to:
- Straightline cleaning fee (improper checkout) – Starting at $105.00
- Apartment cleaning fee (improper checkout) – $630
- Apartment cleaning fee (select spaces) – Starting at $52.50
- Clean and defrost refrigerator – $52.50
- Clean microwave – $26.25
- Clean stove – $52.50
- Missing Comcast cable box – $150.00
- Missing Comcast remote – $15.00
- Missing room key (per key) – $102.13
- Damaged furniture – varies by item, starting at $152.96
Please review the Guide to Living on Campus for a comprehensive explanation of damage billing.
How to Complete Express Checkout
- Complete the Closing Checklist on your door.
- Review the terms below and the full Express Checkout agreement (available in your MyHousing Portal and on the Residence Life webpage).
- Completely fill in the envelope. Place key inside and seal.
- Return envelope to a staff member at the front desk between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m.
- Check your email in the two weeks following closing for any follow-up communications from your hall director.
Terms of Agreement for Express Checkout:
- I agree to participate in the express checkout process and waive my right to check out with a Residence Life staff member.
- I understand that an inspection of my room will be made by a professional staff member and that charges may be applied for damage beyond normal wear and tear. I have read and understand the damage billing expectations listed in the Guide to Living on Campus (available on the Residence Life webpage). I understand that I am waiving my right to appeal charges under $150.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to work with my roommate(s), if applicable, to ensure the room is clean, free of damage and that university property has not been removed from the room.
- I understand that all roommates are equally responsible for the condition of the room and proper closing procedures (regardless of who leaves first/last). Any charges will be split equally among occupants of the room unless one person assumes responsibility.