Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD)
Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) is the International Sociology Honor Society. The organization was founded in 1920 by Dr. Emory Bogardus who wanted an organization that would stimulate scholarship while also promoting an interest in the study of society.
This year, Southern Connecticut State University's chapter, Eta of Connecticut is being advised by Professor Adams & Professor Kenty-Drane.
AKD at SCSU is an undergraduate and graduate honors society for Sociology majors and minors. Members gather to share scholarship, organize academic events and initiatives, and engage in service projects. If you are interested in joining AKD please contact one of the current faculty advisers noted above or complete the application form.
Initiation into AKD International for undergraduate students occurs during the junior or senior year. Undergraduate initiates must meet the following criteria:
- Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program at SCSU.
- Must be at least a junior (third year) by standards of SCSU.
- Must rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship (i.e. presently this requires an overall GPA of 3.25 on a four point scale where: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0).
- Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken at SCSU prior to initiation (i.e. your major GPA).
- Must have completed at least four courses in sociology prior to initiation (excluding courses graded pass/fail).
Initiation into AKD International for graduate students occurs each spring. Graduate initiates must meet the following criteria:
- Must be an officially declared M.S. Sociology matriculated student at SCSU.
- Must have completed at least 9 credits in graduate Sociology coursework.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or better.
To apply for SCSU Sociology AKD, please complete the application form and submit to: email@example.com.
Freshman and sophomore students interested in joining AKD may participate in AKD meetings and events but will only become eligible for initiation (and its benefits including AKD International awards and sponsorships) upon meeting the above criteria during their junior or senior year.
More detailed information about AKD International membership and opportunities (including awards and sponsorship) may be found at www.alphakappadelta.org.