Tax Information

The staff at the Office of International Education does not specialize in tax laws and cannot answer any specific question regarding individual tax filing requirements or tax return preparation.

The information below is applicable to all international and exchange students who earn income or receive a scholarship.

  • All international students have the obligation to file an annual tax return
  • The Internal Revenue Service’s website has the forms, useful information and the telephone numbers for Taxpayer Assistance hotlines.

Tax Information for International and Exchange Students and Scholars

“Foreigners temporarily present in the United States as students, scholars, teachers, researchers, exchange visitors, and cultural exchange visitors are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of their income. This web page contains extensive information on the rules and requirements for those individuals”.