You should review your Banner transcript and verify that all courses including 6 core courses taken toward the degree are recorded and that all grades are accurate. You must pass all classes with a grade of ‘B’ or higher within a period of six years prior to the granting of the master’s degree. Otherwise, the classes will not count toward graduation.
2. Capstone Experience
You should complete either one of these three options: Comprehensive Exam (0 credit), Special Project (3 credits), or Thesis (3 credits). This Capstone Experience is required by the Graduate School. After you complete one of the three, you should receive an approval letter from the Graduate School Dean.
3. MLIS Degree Portfolio (or E-Portfolio)
You should send your MLIS degree portfolio (or e-portfolio) as an email attachment to the ILS Department Secretary, Kathryn Opalenik at firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the semester. This MLIS degree portfolio is required by the ILS Department. MLIS Degree Portfolio Template is available online. All the details about the MLIS degree portfolio requirements are described below. Please carefully read them.
4. Degree Application
You should complete a Graduate degree application. For application deadlines and form, go to http://www2.southernct.edu/offices/registrar/apply-graduation.html
5. Commencement Ceremony (OPTIONAL)
If you plan to participate in a graduation ceremony (held in May), fill out the application form at https://www2.southernct.edu/commencement/
Portfolio Requirement For The MLIS Degree
All MLIS students are required to submit an MLIS degree portfolio (e-portfolio) to the ILS Department Secretary. Send your completed MLIS degree portfolio as an email attachment to the Department Secretary, Kathryn Opalenik at email@example.com.
The portfolio contains six major pieces:
- the list of Student Goals and Learning Outcomes;
- a list of courses taken in the MLIS program;
- Capstone Experience;
- a reflection on the Student Learning Outcomes;
- a discussion of personal goals and professional development;
- a resume.
The MLIS Degree Portfolio Checklist will be used to assess your completed MLIS degree portfolio. If any one of the six items in the checklist were marked as “No,” the Degree Portfolio is automatically rejected.
Instructions for Completing the MLIS Degree Portfolio:
- All materials are linked below.
- Use the MLIS Degree Portfolio Template to assemble the six components listed above
- The Capstone Experience may be inserted or attached as an appendix to the Template; do not make a link to online work (Special Project or Thesis).
- When complete, send a copy to your Capstone Experience advisor for review. Please direct any questions to your Capstone Experience advisor (the advisor for a Special Project or Thesis).
- Please keep in mind that your Capstone Experience will not be approved by the Department Chair unless you submit your MLIS Degree Portfolio along with your Capstone Experience.
Links to materials:
Last updated: December 4, 2019