English Graduate Handbook and FAQ

English Graduate Handbook 

The English Graduate Handbook is your guide to the requirements of the Master’s degree program. See the handbook for all information related to your degree not covered in Banner or online.

SCSU English Graduate Handbook (2020-20221) – PDF)


Graduate Student FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

For Prospective Students:

How do I transfer graduate credits from a previous institution?
During your initial meeting with the Graduate Coordinator, you can discuss whether and how your credits will transfer. Transfer credits may not constitute more than 25% of a student's planned program (that is, no more than nine credits for the 36-credit M.A. and M.S. programs), whether the classes were taken prior to admission to Southern or while matriculated in a program at Southern.

May I take classes as a visiting (non-matriculated) student, prior to officially applying?
Prospective degree candidates may register as part-time non-matriculated students in up to two graduate courses per semester. Up to nine credits of coursework taken as a non-matriculated student may be applied toward the degree. For instructions on taking English graduate classes as a visiting, or non-matriculated, student, see the "Take a Course" page at Southern's Admissions site. 

For Current Students:

I’m interested in pursuing a graduate independent study in English. What do I need to do?
First, make sure that you and the professor have a substantive independent study planned - one not covered by the current English graduate course offerings. Then, you and the professor should jointly file for a section of ENG 600 by completing the Graduate Independent Study Form at the Dean of Arts and Sciences website. Make sure to download the form in Adobe and sign electronically to speed your application. 

I would like to pursue the Master’s thesis option instead of the exam. What are the steps? 
You’ll need to apply the semester prior to that in which you hope to begin thesis credits (ENG 590). The application requires a mini-description of your anticipated project (not a formal thesis proposal), additional materials, and a list of three potential thesis advisors. See the Master’s Thesis and Exam page for complete instructions on how to apply. 

I will already have finished my coursework during the comprehensive exam semester, or I did not finish my thesis or special project by the end of ENG 590. What should I do?
All students must remain continuously enrolled in the degree program until completion. To stay enrolled while completing your thesis, you need to register for 1 credit of Continuation Credits / IDS 900, and pay a continuation fee (approx. $150). For further information, see the Guide to Writing a Thesis. To register for IDS 900, see the School of Graduate and Professional Studies website.

What steps do I need to take to graduate? 
The awarding of the master's degree is not an automatic process. Students must apply for graduation by completing the Registrar’s online form through Southern’s One-Stop services page. The Registrar page includes information for what to do if you have missed the deadline, as well as instructions for how to notify the School of Graduate and Professional Studies in order to participate in graduate commencement ceremonies. 

I will not be enrolling for classes this semester. What should I do?
You can apply to take a leave of absence, which helps you stay matriculated as an English graduate student and with access to university resources. Paperwork for the leave of absence – as well as requests for waivers of the fee (approx. $150) – can be found at the School of Graduate and Professional Studies

For all other questions not covered by the Graduate Handbook or above, contact the English Graduate Coordinator