Disposing of Paper Records

How Do I Dispose of Paper Records?

The Office of the Public Records Administrator (OPRA) for the State of Connecticut requires that official paper records be disposed of by shredding and that a certificate of destruction be retained by each state agency. However, whether records are deemed official or non-official, Records & Information Management recommends that they be shredded in a secure manner.

Currently, InfoShred, Inc. is the state-contracted vendor for shredding services. Please note that Cynthia Shea-Luzik is the only one authorized to contact InfoShred to arrange for records to be disposed of.

Note:  Before submitting a request to have your paper records disposed of, please be sure to check the appropriate OPRA Records Retention Schedule to confirm that all records have reached the end of their required retention period.

How Do I Arrange to Have My Paper Records Shredded?

When your area has paper records that need to be disposed of, please follow the steps below:

A. Official Paper Records:

  1. Complete an RC-108 Records Disposition Authorization form and submit it to your division's Assistant Records Management Liaison Officer (ARMLO). Your ARMLO will review, initial, and forward the completed form to Cynthia Shea-Luzik, Records Management Liaison Officer (RMLO), at shealuzikc1@southernct.edu.
  2. Upon receipt of the completed RC-108, Cynthia will review it for accuracy. If no changes are needed, she will sign and forward the form to OPRA.
  3. Once your RC-108 has been approved, Cynthia will contact you to arrange for the disposal of your records.

B. Non-Official Paper Records:

Depending on the amount of records you have, you may:

  1. Contact Cynthia Shea-Luzik at x25490 for records disposal options and recommendations.
  2. Shred them yourself. RIM recommends--at minimum--using a cross-cut shredder for this purpose, as it cuts the paper into small pieces. We do NOT endorse the use of strip-cut shredders.

C. Can't I just use SCSU Recycling to dispose of non-official paper records?

NO!  -  To be safe, Records & Information Management recommends that all non-official paper records be shredded in a secure manner.

SCSU Recycling

For questions regarding SCSU Recycling, please contact  

Heather Stearns
University Recycling Coordinator
FO 237
Phone: (203) 392-6931
Email:  recycling@southernct.edu