RIM Best Practices
- Always adhere to state and federal records retention schedules and guidelines regardless of the format of your records, i.e., paper or electronic.
- Organize both your paper and electronic records.
- Organize your email.
- Move inactive records into a secure storage area.
- Only access information that is relevant to your official responsibilities.
- Keep your work space secure by being aware of various threats to information security such as unlocked computers, file cabinets, desk drawers, and doors; papers left out in the open; papers left in copy and/or fax machines, etc.
- Be aware of various threats to electronic information security such as viruses, spyware, malware, etc.
- Prevent the disclosure of any and all confidential information.
- Secure all paper and electronic documents that contain confidential information.
- Properly destroy paper and electronic records that contain confidential information when they are no longer needed.
- Make it a policy to shred all paper documents regardless of their classification or the type of information they contain.
12. When In Doubt, Assume It's a Record!!!