University Police FAQ

Is the Campus Police Department a Regular Police Department?

Yes. The university police at Southern Connecticut State University are governed by Connecticut General Statutes 10a-142 and 29-18, along with the other CSU institutions and UCONN. The university police have full arrest powers along with other duties, responsibilities, and authority afforded any duly organized police department, including, but not limited to, access and use of all current law enforcement technologies, interaction with the state judicial system, and assists with other law enforcement agencies.

Do I Need a Parking Decal, and if so, When Can I Come in to Get One, What Information do I Need to Provide and Where Can I Park?

Although not required for commuter lots (lots 8 and 9 and Wintergreen Garage), a decal is required for parking in other designated lots on residential and academic sides. Decals do not guarantee a desired spot.

Parking is on a first-come, first-served basis. Hours for decal pickup are Monday-Thursday from 8 a.m.-7:30 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Bring your school ID and/or current class schedule. This also applies to temporary passes for alternate transportation needs (vehicle repairs, etc.). The Police Department is located at the rear of the Granoff Health Center on Wintergreen Avenue, across from the Wintergreen Building. Decals and temporary passes are not available from 4:30 p.m. Friday to 8:00 a.m. Monday or on holidays.

What are the Hours for the Police Department, and How do I Get There?

The university police is a 24/7 law enforcement agency and can be accessed at the rear of Granoff Hall. Go to the "Location" page within this site.

Will I Be Able to Find Parking on Campus?

The university has grown rapidly, especially during the past five years, and along with the growth has come an increase in vehicular and pedestrian activity. There are adequate accommodations for overflow parking in lot 9 and Wintergreen Garage. Shuttle pickups are available at each location. The four-level, 600-car commuter garage between the Facilities Building and Pelz Gym on Fitch St. is open on a first-come, first-served basis, with the heaviest traffic activity occurring between 8-9 a.m. and 4-6 p.m. on weekdays. We appreciate your patience and can only suggest that you allow additional time for your commute to class and carpool whenever necessary for your convenience. For additional information, go to the "Parking" page within this site.

Where do Visitors and Guests Park on Campus?

Visitors to campus can park in commuter lots (lots 3 and 9 and Wintergreen Garage) or make arrangements through the host department in advance. Day passes are available at university police or arranged through the host department. For additional information, go to the "Parking" page within this site.

Where do the Campus Shuttles Pick Up And Drop Off Students And How Often Do They Run?

Campus shuttles operate Monday-Thursday from 7:30 a.m.-midnight and Friday from 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. when school is in session. Some shuttles are designated for express service and handicap access. Full campus runs take approximately 20 minutes to complete. There are 11 bus stops, including the Eli Whitney lot. For designated routes and stops, go to the "Shuttles" page within this site.

Can I Use The Handicap Access Shuttle Instead of the Regular Shuttle?

The handicap access shuttle is designated primarily for the transport of individuals with disabilities to all points on campus. If a necessity (medical condition, injury) dictates your use of the handicap access shuttle, you must register at the Disability Resource Center in Engleman C105 to be included on the eligibility list. A secondary function of the handicap access shuttle is to make routine pickups when not in service to the disabled; when serving this function, the shuttle will pick up only at designated bus stop sites. For complete schedule and times, go to the "Shuttles" page within this site.

Is The Campus Police Department the Same as the State Police?

No. Although university police are employed by the state, their training is done primarily at the Municipal Police Academy. There are similarities in duties and responsibilities. Our jurisdiction is usually relegated to the geographical limits owned or controlled by the university and the immediate perimeter. The university police department does provide assistance to neighboring municipal police departments whenever necessary. Refer to Conn. Gen. Statutes governing the department's operation at

How And When Can I Find Out if Classes at the University are Delayed or Cancelled?

In the event of weather-related university closings, delayed openings or early dismissals, an announcement will be made by 6 a.m. via campuswide email, the University home pageFacebookTwitter, area media (radio and TV) and the SouthernAlert mass notification system.

The administration will also notify TV stations, including WTNH and WFSB, as well as radio stations, including WELI New Haven (960 AM), WICC Bridgeport (600 AM), WDRC Hartford (102.9 FM), WATR Waterbury (1320 AM), WNLC New London (1510 AM), and WSTC Stamford (1400 AM). The radio cancellation announcement for morning classes will normally be made by 6 a.m. The cancellation announcement for early afternoon classes will normally be made by 10 a.m.

Please note that, while the university does use radio and television stations to issue weather closing announcements, there is sometimes a delay before these reports are aired.

If the university is open for part of the day, announcements regarding afternoon classes will be made by 10 a.m., and evening classes by 2 p.m.

Cancellation decisions for special events, theater presentations, or athletic events will be made four hours prior to the scheduled start time of the event.

If you haven’t updated your SouthernAlert profile for text messaging, please do so; otherwise, you will receive notifications through email only.

Note that the WeatherChek phone line, 392-SNOW, has been phased out and will no longer be used for weather-related notifications.

Is Your Department Hiring, And How Do I Apply?

Information on openings at Southern Connecticut State University can be found on the State of Connecticut Department of Administrative Services Web site. The application process is administered through the Department of Administrative Services.

Do The Campus Police Provide Transportation To And From Campus?

No. University police do not provide transportation to or from campus to any point off campus. Go to the "Shuttles" page within this site for train, bus, and taxi information. We do, however, provide walking escorts between any two points within the boundaries of campus, primarily when shuttles are not in service.

Will Campus Police Give Me A Ride Back To My Dorm Late At Night?

Walking escorts are provided through this department. Go to the "Campus Watch" page within this site for information on escorts and conditions.

If I Am Involved In An Incident On Campus, Will My Parents Be Contacted?

Family notifications are handled by Residence Life primarily when incidents involve medical emergencies. Check with Residence Life for their guidelines on notifications.