Law Enforcement and Resident Network (L.E.A.R.N.) Program
The Southern Connecticut State University Law Enforcement and Resident Network program is an extension of the University Police community policing philosophy. The program establishes positive working partnerships, in relation to safety education, crime prevention and proactive responses, improving the quality of our campus experience.
The University Police has embarked on a project that embraces both a community policing and neighborhood watch model.
The Law Enforcement and Resident Network (L.E.A.R.N.) is a cooperative effort with the University Police officers and Southern community members who strive for proactive communication to effectively report, respond and prevent crime. In addition to providing safety through basic patrol, university police are further promoting crime prevention through education and positive interactions with the Southern community.
Each residence hall, or "neighborhood", has at least one police officer who has volunteered time to the program. Each L.E.A.R.N. officer monitors trends within that neighborhood, provides educational seminars and is available to that particular community for information, mentoring and training. Police officers in each of the Southern community neighborhoods are committed to promoting a safe learning environment. Our goal is to empower each citizen through safety education.
The Benefits of L.E.A.R.N.
- Immediate access to police services.
- Deterrent to violence and criminal activity.
- Promote rapport between student residents and the police community.
- Provide information on community services and law-related education to students, parents, faculty and university staff.
- Informal counseling to students based on the expertise of law enforcement officers, including drug abuse, crime prevention, civic responsibility and date rape.
- Liaisons between the university and the police community.
- Enhanced use of diversion programs.
Officers are available to meet with your neighborhood community to provide educational information and speaking engagements at your request. We are happy to customize and presentation to meet your neighborhood needs.
- R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense)
- Alcohol Awareness-Fatal Vision Goggles
- Internet Safety
- Crime Prevention
- Connecticut Motor Vehicle and Criminal Laws
- Victim Services
- Preventing Identity Theft
- Conflict Resolution/Problem Solving
- Introduction to Campus Safety