Student Affairs Graduate Intern Opportunities
The Southern Connecticut State University Student Affairs Graduate Internship program prepares graduate students for a wide range of career opportunities in student services at the post-secondary level.
The program provides graduate students with the opportunity to develop first-hand knowledge of student affairs professions and gain hands on experience in many areas within the Division of Student Affairs. This experiential learning opportunity provides graduate students the environment to grow both personally and professionally. While working alongside experienced student affairs administrators, the interns will work to improve the quality of campus life, foster a safe, healthy and respectful environment, support academic achievement and success, and promote leadership and civic engagement. In addition, graduate interns will develop a high-level of critical thinking, analysis, organization, and problem solving skills. Lastly, graduate interns will make positive contributions as student affairs practitioners, acquire an understanding of the complexities of higher education, and integrate research and theory of higher education into practice.
The Graduate Intern selection process occurs annually during the spring semester, at which point, fall vacancies and the intern selection will be announced. Outlined below are general details regarding graduate intern requirements, compensation, and position descriptions.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree by end of the semester of application.
- Acceptance as a matriculated student into a graduate program at Southern Connecticut State University or the Central Connecticut State University Counselor Education with a Specialization in Student Development in Higher Education program.
- Ability to work independently and provide leadership for staff and students
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relations with students of diverse backgrounds and interests
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Undergraduate experience in student leadership, planning and organizing activities, a commitment to student development preferred
- Must be able to work 35 hours a week
Tuition and fee waiver for up to 18 credits as a part-time graduate student:
- Graduate interns who choose to be full-time students shall be required to pay full-time tuition and a portion of the University General Fee to cover accident and health insurance. All other University Fees will be waived.
- 9-Month Position – $15,000
- 10-Month Position – $16,667
- 11-Month Position – $18,334
- 12-Month Position – $20,000
Timeline / Application Submission
Application Priority Date: February 13, 2023
Application Close: February 20, 2023
Notification Date: February 24, 2023
Interviews: March 3, 2023 (Save the Date)
Available Positions for 2023-24
- Orientation, Transition, and Family Engagement
- Center for Academic Success & Accessibility Services
- Conference and Events
- Residence Life (2)
- Student Involvement & Leadership Development
- Multicultural Center
- Athletics & Recreation
- Dean of Students & Student Conduct
- Wellbeing Center (3)
How to Apply
The Student Affairs Graduate Intern process is coordinated through the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs. To apply for one of the positions please complete the electronic Graduate Intern Position Interest Form. Be sure to upload your resume, letter of interest, and list of three (3) professional references.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Office of the Dean of Students
Southern Connecticut State University
501 Crescent Street
New Haven, CT 06515