The Food Pantry can be utilized by all active Southern students. This means that anyone enrolled in a course at Southern can use the Food Pantry.
Donate to the SCSU Food Pantry
You can help the pantry by donating various food items, toiletries, and other supplies that support students’ academic success and healthy living. Frequently requested items at the pantry are listed below:
- Menstrual Hygiene Products
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Boxed Mac ’N Cheese
- Nut and Seed Butters
- Breakfast Bars
- Instant Coffee
- Rice cakes
- Granola Bars
- Canned Fruit
- Fruit Cups
- Soups (chicken, tomato, veggie)
- Canned Beans (black, baked, chickpeas)
- Oatmeal (packaged in single servings)
Organizations and partners
Organizations and partners who have shown their support to the SCSU Food Pantry:
- Haven’s Harvest
- Gather New Haven
- Midwest Food Bank
- CT Shoreline Rotaract
- Various SCSU departments and offices
Volunteer with the SCSU Food Pantry
The Food Pantry could always use a helping hand! Please email email@example.com if you or your organization is looking to donate some of your time.
In order to use the Food Pantry, students must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Students must type in their student ID number or swipe-in and out using their Hoot Loot card when using the Food Pantry.
- Students may take one bag of food per shopping experience at the food pantry. Please bring a reusable bag with you to the pantry.
- Students may shop once a week.
- Respect item limits to ensure all students experiencing food insecurity can get what they need from the pantry. If you are confused or concerned about the limit, ask an employee for clarity and support.
- Please remain respectful with our student workers.
During the Spring 2023 semester the Food Pantry will be open:
Monday: 8:30am-4:30pm; drop-ins
Tuesday: 8:30am-4:30pm; drop-ins
Wednesday: 8:30am-7:00pm; drop-ins
Thursday: 8:30am-4:30pm; drop-ins
Friday: 8:30am-4:30pm; appointment only
To create an appointment, students are to follow these steps on Navigate:
- Log into Navigate
- Make sure you are on Student Home, not Staff Home.
- Click make an appointment, which is located in a blue rectangle on the top right side of the webpage.
- For what type of appointment would you like to schedule, select Dean of Students Office.
- For what support or service would you like to schedule, select Food Pantry.
- For pick a date, select the date you plan on visiting the Food Pantry. Then click find available times.
- Next, select the 15-minute time-block you plan on visiting.
- Leave a message to share additional thoughts if needed.
- Check the box/boxes if you would like an email/text reminder(s). List your phone number if you decide to receive a text reminder.
- Press schedule.
The Food Pantry is in the Wintergreen Building across from the James Moore Field House and adjacent to Jess Dow Field.
If you are facing the main entrance of the Wintergreen Building, we are on the top left corner of the building. To enter the Food Pantry, walk by the parking spaces in between the Wintergreen Building and the James Moore Field House. Enter the door at the top of the metal ramp where you see the “SCSU Food Pantry” sign.
The Food Pantry is in room 141, which is directly straight ahead of the door that you entered from the outside.
The Food Pantry has a separate entrance than the rest of the offices in the Wintergreen Building – the Food Pantry is not accessible through the main entrance of the Wintergreen Building.