University Policy for Military Activated Students
Southern recognizes and appreciates the important contributions made in service to our country by our young men and women. In support of these students, Southern has developed procedures to provide each activated student with maximum flexibility.
Southern students who are ordered to Active Duty face the following possibilities:
- They may have to reduce their credit load but can stay in school (100% refund of tuition, books, and fees for dropped courses).
- They may be gone for a short period of time and be able to return (student and professor decide best course of action).
- They may be activated for longer periods of time and be unable to finish the semester (100% refund of tuition, books, and fees).
- They may be activated late in the semester, in which case we encourage professors to consider the grade the student has earned at that point or incompletes or total withdrawal (with 100% refund).
The bottom line is that we want to do what's in our students' best interest. Our policy is to provide activated students with a 100% refund of tuition, fees, and books in consideration of the options stated in #1-4.
Often there is little time between the student's receipt of activation orders and his or her reporting date. The student may not be able to return to campus. As we determine each student's situation, we do our best to allow him or her every consideration.
In most cases our activated student's will contact the Office of Veterans Affairs. If they talk with you in class please:
- Refer them to the Office of Veterans Affairs.
- Include the the student's name, student ID number.
If a withdrawal does become necessary, the Office of Veterans Affairs will follow through with the appropriate offices, and instructors will be notified.