The Department of Theatre wants students to leave our program with a broad understanding of and respect for every aspect of theatre. The following are the departmental student learning goals:
- Develop the unique and highly varied technical proficiencies inherent to the theatre profession's technologically focused areas.
- Demonstrate the critical thinking and analysis skills necessary to engage in high level conceptual and metaphoric textual analysis.
- Attain a deep appreciation, knowledge, and understanding of theatrical history in order to engage with the idiosyncratic language of professional theatre artists.
- Develop the physical proficiencies required of a performance artist as well as the discipline, respect, and enthusiasm necessary to maintain those proficiencies.
- Understand the strategies and methods necessary to be successful collaborative theatrical storytellers.
- Demonstrate the deep respect and appreciation for one's colleagues that is utterly vital when working in this most collaborative art form.
- Understand that they will never stop learning and develop the attitude and skill necessary to continue learning for the remainder of their careers.
- Develop the skills, knowledge, and attitude required to perpetuate theatre as a force for self-examination and social change in the world.