In honor of Mathematics and Statistics Awareness Month, the Department of Mathematics at Southern would like to challenge you with a series of devious puzzles and problems highlighting the beauty of mathematics and its application to everyday problems all around us.
The puzzles are:
- Puzzle 1: Gerrymandering Puzzle (Submit your solution by 5pm Friday, April 8, 2022)
- Puzzle 2: Scheduling Puzzle (Submit your solution by 5pm Friday, April 15, 2022)
- Puzzle 3: Geodesic Puzzle (Submit your solution by April 22, 2022)
- Puzzle 4: Square Area Puzzle (Submit your solution by April 29, 2022)
About The Challenge
The Department will issue a new puzzle each week of Mathematics and Statistics Awareness Month. Your solution can be submitted via email to email@example.com by 5pm the Friday following the day the puzzle comes out. In addition to your solution, a submission must contain the following information in the body of your email:
- Your name
- Your status (one of student, staff/admin, or faculty)
- Your “location” (major if student, office or department if staff/admin or faculty)
Points will be awarded for solutions based on correctness, originality, and time of submission. At the end of Mathematics and Statistics Awareness Month, prizes will be awarded in various categories to participants having the most points.
Questions can be addressed to Ms. Melissa Jensen at firstname.lastname@example.org.