Search Number: S20-018
Position Rank: Administrator II
Job Posted: February 11, 2021
Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice. Founded as a teachers college in 1893, Southern has evolved over the past century into a comprehensive public university of more than 10,000 students, offering graduate and undergraduate programs in the liberal arts and professional disciplines. It is one of four universities in the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System. The University is located in New Haven, a city rich with arts and culture, and less than 90 miles from New York City and 140 miles from Boston.
The Assistant in Business Services position will be responsible for performing a variety of duties associated with Accounts Payable, state vendor offset, travel authorizations and reimbursements, records storage management, petty cash operations and other business office functions as assigned.
- Process vendor invoices/vouchers for payment, process inter-agency invoices against bond payments, update vendor information in systems and resolve and respond to inquiries on payment status for internal and external customers.
- In collaboration with IT, run and distribute annual 1099 tax forms.
- Compile data and process journal entries, zero balance account wire transfers, and reports as required for accounts payable. Calculate long-term group disability insurance monthly premiums.
- Maintain the operation and recordkeeping process for travel management systems for Account Payable. Review and audit travel authorizations and vouchers for travel reimbursements. Maintain the cash advance system for travel including all cash advance reporting. Maintain all databases and forms associated with the travel authorizations and reimbursement processing.
- Prepare monthly petty cash log and reconciliations.
- Coordinate storage records management with Finance and IT departments in accordance with state Record Retention policy and GLBA regulations.
- Perform general accounting and finance duties including analysis, reconciliation, and corrections of various financial accounts and reports. Compile data and prepare reports, statements, studies and analysis as required. Monitor and review key data and documents for consistency, accuracy and reasonableness.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities which do not alter the basic level of the position.
Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or business administration required. A minimum of two years' experience in accounting, fiscal or business office is required with experience in accounts payable operations. Knowledge of bookkeeping, financial record keeping and basic governmental accounting principles and practices is preferred. Ability to use computer and associated software is required. These qualifications may be waived for individuals with appropriate alternate experience.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three professional references to Norma Valentin at email@example.com with “Assistant in Business Services” in the subject line. For full consideration, please submit application materials no later than February 25, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
Southern Connecticut State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.