Tenure Track Assistant Professor - Information and Library Science
Department: Information and Library Science
Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialization(s): Information and Library Science with expertise in state-of-the-art technologies relevant to library and information services applications.
Search #: 24-009
Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU) is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus-wide commitment to social justice and inquiry. Founded as a teacher’s college in 1893, Southern has evolved over the past century into a comprehensive public university of approximately 9,000 students, with significant external research funding, and offering graduate and undergraduate programs in the liberal arts and professional disciplines. We seek to instill in all students the value of discovery with the liberal arts and sciences serving as a foundation for professional development and life-long learning. The University is located in New Haven, Connecticut, a city rich and vibrant with arts and culture, and home to many universities and with easy access to New York City and Boston.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities
The Department of Information and Library Science of Southern Connecticut State University is seeking an outstanding, energetic, and innovative colleague to help guide the growth of its rapidly expanding online MLIS program. The successful candidate for this 10-month, tenure-track position will carry a 9.0-credit instructional load each semester with additional intersession options available. The candidate will also make significant contributions to the expansion of the curriculum for the MLIS program in the area of information technology and the framework used in its assessment.
Other responsibilities include
- Developing and expanding a profile in research and research dissemination
- Student Advising
- Acting in various roles in department, college and university committees and professional organizations
- Contributing to program development and assessment for ALA accreditation requirements.
There is an expectation that all ILS faculty endeavor to develop connections across campus and the community to advance the mission of the Department and University.
The ILS Department is one of five departments in the College of Education and is focused on providing quality graduate education, including the development of in-service and post-graduate program offerings. The SCSU MLIS program is the only one in Connecticut and as a fully online program, it serves students from throughout New England and other regions. In addition to the MLIS, the Department offers Connecticut school library media specialist certification.
- A doctorate in information and library science or related field (impending graduation/defense will be considered)
- MLS or MLIS
- Evidence of scholarly, published peer-reviewed research
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Instructional experience/developing curriculum for an online environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, faculty, and staff.
- Research agenda that directly connects information technology to information/media/digital literacy, equity, and the digital divide
- Graduate-level instructional experience
- Experience working with cutting-edge library technology applications
- Interest in multi-disciplinary research and programmatic collaboration
- Some experience developing externally funded research and program initiatives
- Familiarity with the ALA accreditation process
For full consideration please submit a letter that addresses accomplishments and research interests, current curriculum vitae, copies of official graduate transcripts, and names of three references with email and phone contact information. All application materials must be submitted electronically to the ILS Search Committee at ILSSearch1@southernct.edu no later than March 31, 2024. For inquiries, contact the search committee co-chairs, Dr. Cindy Schofield and Dr. Eino Sierpe at ILSSearch1@southernct.edu
Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will remain open until filled.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.