Alcohol Poisoning

Alcohol is a depressant and can slow down many of the body's functions, including heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing.

The body only metabolizes one ounce (one standard drink) per hour. This means that when you can consume a lot of alcohol in a short period of time, it takes a while to reach the brain.

There are steps to follow in case you encounter someone who is suffering from alcohol poisoning:

  1. Try to wake the person. If the person does not respond by your voice then you can try pinching the skin lightly.

  2. Turn the person to his or her side so that if he or she gets sick, he or she won't choke on his or her vomit. Do not leave the person.

  3. Check skin color or temperature. A sure sign of alcohol poisoning is if the skin is pale or bluish. This means the person is not getting enough oxygen.

  4. Check the person's breathing. Medical attention is necessary if the person's breathing is slow or shallow and if there are 10 seconds between breaths.

These are some of the acute symptoms of alcohol poisoning, but not all people have all the same symptoms. If you cannot wake the person, that is a sure sign that medical care is urgently needed.