Stop Payment Requests

Stop payment requests are placed for checks that have been lost, damaged, are stale dated or have not been received.  In order to place a stop payment you must:

  1. Download and print out a Stop Payment Request Form or obtain one from the Accounts Payable office. 
  2. Students looking for refund checks must contact the Student Accounts Office before a request for stop payment is placed.  The Student Accounts Office can determine the mailing date of a refund check. Students must then allow 10-14 days from the date the check was mailed before requesting the stop.
  3. Fill out the form completely.  Make sure you select a reason for the stop payment, then sign and date the form.  Return the form to accounts payable immediately as it takes about two days to receive confirmation from the bank that a stop payment has been placed.
  4. A replacement check will be issued and mailed within 7 to 10 business days once confirmation has been received from the bank. 
  5. If the original check is later received/found, do not attempt to cash or deposit it.  Return it immediately to the Accounts Payable office.
  6. You will be notified if a stop could not be placed because the check has already been cashed.