The pre-law program at Southern supports students who are interested in attending law school. Law schools are looking for passionate students who write well and think analytically, rather than cookie-cutter pre-law or criminal justice majors. We encourage pre-law students to choose a major that they find interesting so that they can pursue their passions through a rigorous curriculum.
All students considering law school should:
- Meet with the pre-law advisor, Dr. Tess Marchant-Shapiro, as soon as possible after entering the university so that she can guide them through an undergraduate experience that will prepare them for successful admission to and performance during law school.
- Join the Pre-Law Society, where they can engage in extracurricular activities designed to prepare students for the law school admission process and for success in law school.
- Take the following courses to provide a context for the legal education that students will receive in law school:
- PHI 215 Logic
- PSC 260 U.S. Government
- PSC 321 U.S. Legal System
- PSC 417 Constitutional Law
Dr. Tess Marchant-Shapiro, Pre-Law Advisor
Associate Professor of Political Science
Phone: (203) 392-5664
Office: Engleman C-234B
Department Secretary: (203) 392-5666