Department: Public Health
Specialization(s): Public Health Management and Leadership/Health Informatics
Search # 20-029
NOTE: THIS IS A FACULTY CLUSTER HIRING INITIATIVE IN COLLABORATION WITH OUR COMPUTER SCIENCE, MATHEMATICS AND NURSING DEPARTMENTS. IT IS PART OF THE HEALTHCARE INFORMATICS CLUSTER.
Located in historic New Haven, a city rich in art and culture, Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice. SCSU is a flourishing community of approximately 10,000 students, located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, with easy access to New York and Boston.
The vision of the Department of Public Health at Southern Connecticut State University is to be a leader in academic public health, community service, and the conduit of research relevant to advancing the ideal of healthy people in healthy communities. Our mission is to advance the state of public health practice and to promote and protect the health of the public, which we do through a) exemplary teaching and professional preparation of our students, b) community-based participatory research and practice conducted by faculty and students, c) a commitment to professional ethics and standards, and d) providing the foundation for students to develop professionally in order to optimize their contributions within the context of inter-professional practice. Both the undergraduate and graduate programs in Public Health are fully accredited by the Council on Accreditation for Public Health (CEPH).
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities:
Southern invites applications from individuals who believe in the mission of public higher education and are committed to outstanding teaching and scholarship. Successful candidates will be disciplinary scholars devoted to a student-centric approach.
The Department of Public Health seeks to fill a full-time tenure track position to begin August 2020. Primary responsibilities will be teaching across the curriculum, with specialization preference in public health management/leadership and health informatics. Faculty are assigned a 12-credit hour load each semester. In addition to classroom teaching responsibilities, faculty are expected to engage in scholarship, service, and professional attendance/participation in activities reflective of professional expertise. This position will be included with a cluster hire focusing on Health Informatics.
- Earned research- or practice-based doctorate (PhD, DrPH, EdD, or other comparable degree); ABD candidates considered. If ABD, candidate must earn doctorate by end of first year of appointment. All candidates are required to have graduate degree (master’s or doctorate) in public health or related field with a focus on health management/ leadership or health informatics
- Evidence of the ability to teach effectively at the university level and to engage in meaningful scholarship, including peer-reviewed publications and grant funded activities.
- Evidence of capability for successful grant acquisition.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Evidence of management and leadership and/or health informatics scholarship (i.e. publications, grants, presentations).
- Expertise in any of the following areas: Strategic Planning, Leadership & HR Management, Health Services Administration, Healthcare Finance, and/or Healthcare Delivery Systems.
- Teaching experience at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Experience with integrating technology into teaching and/or facilitating on-line instruction.
Please submit electronically (with the subject line: Health Informatics) a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, official graduate transcripts, and at least three references with email and phone contact information to: Public Health Search Committee Chair at PCHsearch@southernct.edu. Best consideration will be given to complete applications received by Friday, November 22, 2019. The position will remain open until filled.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.