Department: Curriculum and Learning
Search # 20-019
Located in historic New Haven, a city rich in art and culture, Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice. SCSU is a flourishing community of approximately 10,000 students, located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, with easy access to New York and Boston.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities:
Southern invites applications from individuals who believe in the mission of public higher education and are committed to outstanding teaching and scholarship. Successful candidates will be disciplinary scholars devoted to a student-centric approach.
The Department of Curriculum and Learning seeks applicants for a full-time, tenure-track position at the Assistant level to begin August 2020. The successful candidate will teach both undergraduate and graduate courses to prospective early childhood, elementary, and special education students, as well as reading specialists. Southern’s graduate reading program is highly respected and is accredited by both the International Literacy Association and the International Dyslexia Association. The undergraduate reading program has a strong focus on multiliteracies and privileges access to texts that empower learners to enact transformative pedagogies. Additional responsibilities include collaboration with the special education program, student advisement, student teaching supervision, department and university service, and scholarship.
- An earned doctorate or ABD in Literacy Education or a closely related field. If ABD, candidate must have earned doctorate by the end of the first year of appointment;
- A minimum of three years of full-time relevant teaching in K-12 setting.
- Evidence of ability to teach university level courses in early childhood education and literacy related to teaching in elementary schools.
- A strong potential for scholarly activity leading to peer-reviewed publications, external grants or other support, and presentations at professional conferences.
- Experience teaching reading/literacy in a way that integrates both explicit instruction and engaging student-centered practices.
- Knowledge of formal and informal literacy assessment.
- Experience in urban school communities.
- Knowledge of family/community-based initiatives to support out-of-school literacy.
- Certification in Remedial Reading or Literacy.
- Evidence of work in teacher education and professional development.
- Knowledge of innovative and culturally-sustaining pedagogies to work effectively with a wide range of ethnically and linguistically diverse students across K -12 settings.
- Flexibility in managing teaching assignments, e.g., practica, fieldwork, hybrid, and online offerings.
Please submit letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, official graduate transcripts, and three letters of recommendation electronically to: Curriculum and Learning Search Committee Chair at CURsearch1@southernct.edu . Best consideration will be given to complete applications received by Friday, October 18, 2019. The position will remain open until filled.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.