Please note: The Fall 2021 semester has started. Students may still take the English placement assessment at any time, but results will inform Spring 2022 course schedules. Please expect results approximately two weeks after completing the placement. If you have any questions, please speak with an Academic Advisor.
What is the English Placement Assessment?
- The English placement assessment is a 30-minute online exercise used to place students in an appropriate English course. Once you login, you will read a short opinion piece from The New York Times and write a paragraph summarizing its argument.
- There is no passing or failing – the results are used only to place you in an English course that is best for you.
- You do not need to study for the assessment, but it would be helpful if you can set aside the full 30-minutes in a quiet place that is free from distractions.
Who is Eligible to Take the English Placement Assessment?
- All new first-year students: Click here to see whether you have already established an English placement level via another method.
- New transfer students who have not transferred English courses or who have transferred English courses that do not give you a placement level. Click here for information.
- Current students who have not completed English composition courses at SCSU and have not already taken the placement assessment.
Email Professor Brian Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org, English Composition Coordinator, with any questions or concerns.