What is the English Placement Assessment?
- The English placement assessment is a 40-minute online exercise used to place students in an appropriate English course. Once you login, you will be asked to complete two tasks:
- 1.) Read four brief student profiles. Choose the one that best describes who you are as an academic reader and writer (5-10 minutes).
- 2.) Read a short opinion piece from The New York Times and write a paragraph summarizing its argument (30 minutes).
- There is no passing or failing – the results are used only to place you in an English course that is best for you.
- You do not need to study for the assessment, but it would be helpful if you can set aside 40 minutes in a quiet place that is free from distractions.
Who is Eligible to Take the English Placement Assessment?
- All new first-year students: Click here to see whether you have already established an English placement level via another method.
- New transfer students who have not transferred English courses or who have transferred English courses that do not give you a placement level. Click here for information.
- Current students who have not completed English composition courses at SCSU and have not already taken the placement assessment.
Email Professor Brian Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org, English Composition Coordinator, with any questions or concerns.