Southern Connecticut State University is excited to be a site location for the DSST exams
- DSSTs are exams approved for college credit
- Over 30 exams to choose from in upper and lower level credits
- Funded for military active duty (and spouses)
- A DSST test costs as low as $85 per exam vs $750 (average for a 3-credit course)
- Over 1900 institutions grant credits for DSST exams
Before You Schedule a DSST Exam
- Find Out Your School’s Policy Talk to your academic advisor, professor or admissions office and find out your school’s policy on credit by examination.
- Choose Your Exams Look over our exam list and decide on the exams you want to take. Double check with your school to verify credit will be accepted for the exam.
- Locate a Test Center by Searching Our Database You can search our database below to find an administering school. Please note that while we constantly update our database, schools may change their credit awarding policies without prior notice.
All examinations must be taken at a test center location. A certified proctor must be present in order to gain access to the examination.
Exam Fee and Duration
The test fee for each title starts at US$85.00, which is only payable by credit card and is a non-refundable expense. You will have up to two hours to complete an examination.
Exam Results and Scoring
For most DSST exams, your results will be made available to you at the test center after your examination has been completed. You must provide the correct college code at the time of registration in order to have your official scores sent to the college of your choice. Check with your proctor if you have any questions about the exam results and scoring.
Exam Retake Rule
There is a wait period of 30 days before you can retake any DSST examination. If you attempt to take a DSST exam title before the wait period has passed, either online or paper, your scores for this examination will be considered invalid, and Prometric will notify the credit-granting institution.
The first time you sign up for a DSST examination, you have to register as a First Time User, regardless of whether or not you registered for a practice examination previously. Exam registrations for an actual DSST examination are done at the test center. The practice exams and actual DSST examinations are completely separate.
Practice exams are available to take anytime, anywhere there's an Internet connection. Using this link: https://www.getcollegecredit.com/dsst_practice_exam/
Practice Exam Registration
To take a practice exam, you must register in the Practice Exam domain by following the instructions in "First-time Registration." You cannot sign-in to take a practice exam using your DSST examination username and password.
Practice Exam Content
The practice exams do NOT include actual examination questions but provide experience in taking similar-type questions as those that will be on the actual exam. All questions pertain to general terms and concepts within the subject area. Each exam contains multiple-choice questions and provides you with immediate score results. The results are not intended to predict how well you will do on the actual examination, but they will help you to find what content areas you need more study in, and what the exam experience is like.
You will have up to two attempts to complete the practice exam in a 24-hour window.
Using this site to make login credentials:
I have more questions -- what do I do?
If you have further questions regarding testing day, you are welcome to call or email the Southern Testing Center, where someone will help you. Please see below for contact information:
Phone: (203) 392-8967