Moving into a residence hall doesn't have to be stressful. Knowing what to bring ahead of time helps alleviate stress and can dramatically speed up moving-in time.
The following are suggested items to bring to campus. We recommend talking to your roommate, if applicable, to avoid duplicating items that can be shared (i.e., television).
- alarm clock
- area rug or room carpet
- clothes hangers
- computer (don't forget a lock for laptops)*
- dishes, cups, silverware
- keurigs or automatic shut-off coffee pots***
- laundry detergent and basket
- pens, pencils, notebooks, and other school supplies
- pillow, bedding, mattress cover (twin extra-long)
- outlet surge protectors*
- room decorations
- shower tote, robe, shower sandals
- small garbage can
- stapler, scissors, paper clips, tape
- tissues and paper towels
- toothbrush, toothpaste and other toiletries
Optional Renter Insurance
All residents may also want to opt into the optional rental insurance.
Apartment and Suite Residents
Apartment and Suite residents may also want to bring the following.
- bath mat
- bathroom cleaning supplies
- pots, pans, cooking utensils
- toilet paper
Rooms with Kitchens
If you will be living in a room with a kitchen, you should also consider bringing these items.
- cups, glasses, and plates
- eating utensils
- a toaster
- dishwasher liquid
- cooking utensils
Please consult your residence hall director if you wish to bring an item that is not listed above; certain items are prohibited for health and safety reasons. Also, please remember that space is limited so pack sparingly and consult with your roommate(s) to avoid bringing duplicate items.
*All appliances must be UL approve/listed
***May only be used in utility rooms or rooms with kitchens
Items prohibited from residence halls at Southern include but are not limited to the following. Prohibited items will be confiscated by Residence Life staff, and the student who owns them may face residence hall disciplinary actions.
- Air conditioners, microwaves, refrigerators, cable boxes
- Alcohol, illegal drugs or paraphernalia
- Candles and incense
- Clothes washers or dryers
- Dart boards with metal tip darts
- Electronic skateboards/scooters/hoverboards
- Extension cords
- Halogen lamps
- Hot plates
- Mattresses, futons, beds, sofas/couches
- Pets (only fish allowed)
- Space heaters
- Weapons (guns, hunting knives, nunchucks, blow darts)
SCSU, in partnership with Comcast, offers wi-fi in all residence halls. Students can stay connected, stream video or music, and search for the information they need for free. The wi-fi service includes 2.4 and 5 GHz bandwidth, providing fast Internet access on all devices.