Fitness plays a vital role in the well-being of our campus community. Students, faculty and staff have the ability to use our fitness center facility year-round. We also offer group exercise classes, nutrition programs and other alternative fitness options. Currently there is no additional fee for use of our facility or programs.
Fitness Center Hours of Operation
2021 Spring Semester (2/1-5/7)
Monday- Thursday 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
Friday 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
Weekends & Holidays: Closed (2/12-2/15/21 and 4/2/21)
*We close for cleaning daily from 2:00-3:00pm
How to Access the Fitness Center (Adanti Student Center, Room 204)
Currently enrolled students may utilize the Fitness Center during the semester which they are enrolled.
Current faculty & staff may utilize the Fitness Center after registering an Atleto account.
To activate your membership & Access the facility:
- Register with your Southern email and password.
- Sign the waivers (If not, you will see our Atleto page, but won’t be able to make any reservations!)
- Book a 50-minute reservation (Reservations are available 2 days ahead of your workout).
- Arrive for your reservation no more than 3-minutes before the start time.
Using the Facility
- Register for a session (a booking) on the Atleto app.
- If you need a mat, please bring your own.
- Arrive dressed for your workout and bring your own water.
- Bring your hoot loot card & check in no more than 3 minutes before your reserved workout time.
- Clean your equipment before and after use.
- Stay 6 feet apart during your workout, following directional signs as much as possible.
- Exit the gym by the time your reservation ends (55 minutes, unless there are openings in the next hour, ask staff for an additional booking).
- We have extra masks at the front desk in case yours get’s sweaty or uncomfortable - Free!
- Wash your hands and avoid touching your face!
- Showers are available
- Lockers may be used during your reserved workout time only
- Closed toe/closed back sneakers (no boots, sandals, crocs or bare feet)
- Create a booking up to 2 days in advance
- Make up to 2 bookings in a day
- If you ‘no show’ instead of cancelling a booking, your facility access may be limited by staff
- 'No Show’ will be determined at 15/20 minutes past the booking start time to allow for walk-ins.
- If you forget to make a booking in advance, you may walk in create a booking on site if space is available. (Must still have an active Atleto account/be registered)
We offer a variety of equipment to allow users to engage in a well-rounded exercise program. Some equipment may not be available due to social distancing.
Cardiovascular – Life Fitness/Precor/Expresso HD
- Treadmills - with LCD screens and cable
- Upright and Recumbent Bikes
- Stair Steppers
- Elliptical Trainers
- AMT (Adaptive Motion Trainer)
- Expresso HD Upright
Weight Training Machines – Life Fitness
- Chest Press
- Chest Fly/Rear Delt
- Shoulder Press
- Lateral Raise
- Lat Pulldown
- Seated Row
- Triceps Press Down
- Biceps Curl
- Leg Press
- Leg Extension
- Leg Curl
- Hip Abduction
- Hip Adduction
- Assisted dip/chin up
Plate Loaded Equipment – Hammer Strength
Free Weights and more
- 5 lb - 100 lb pairs
- Adjustable Benches
- Kettlebells – Provided by Kettlebell Kings - coming soon
- Slam Balls – Provided by Kettlebell Kings - coming soon
Group Fitness/Fitness Programs
Group fitness programming is temporarily suspended due to Covid-19. We hope to resume outdoor fitness classes later in the Spring. Please visit our virtual programming page for more information on how to participate from home with RecFit Remote and more!
I cannot get there right at the top of the hour for my workout…how late can I check into the gym for my booking/reservation?
At 20-minutes past each hour, anyone who has not shown up for a booking will be ‘dropped’ and considered a ‘no show’. We are working on a way for users to make a booking after the start of the hour, but right now this can only be achieved in-person.
What happens if I ‘no show’ for a reservation?
If ‘no shows’ become habitual and prevent others from accessing the gym due to empty reservations, our staff may begin restricting access after 3 or 4 ‘no shows’. We will warn users via the Atleto app if their access is in danger of being restricted.
Do I need to wear my mask the whole time while I’m in the facility?
YES. All members and employees must wear a mask at all times while in the Fitness Center.
What do I do if I need to take a drink of water during my workout?
Drinking water during your workout is allowed and encouraged. When taking a drink, you must keep your distance from others, remove your mask to drink, and immediately put your mask back on when finished.
What precautions are your staff taking to maintain a clean and safe environment in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 within the facility?
Employees clean and disinfect all equipment frequently throughout the day. We strongly encourage members to wipe down their equipment before and after use.