There are many academic resources and services available to support student success at Southern Connecticut State University from the time you start your journey through graduation!

We have a team of knowledgeable professional advisors who are fully committed to supporting your success!  Visit the Academic Advising website for more information or to:

•    Learn more about the advising center services or schedule an appointment.
•    Review new and transfer student information.
•    Access advising resources such your academic map, degree evaluation, or GPA calculator.

Southern is committed to students being enrolled in the appropriate level English, math, and foreign language courses which is why we strongly believe in a placement process that helps us determine the best courses to meet your individual skill level while also challenging you to excel.

Academic Placement for Freshmen
Academic Placement for Transfer Students
English Placement
World Languages Placement
Mathematics Placement

Contact Us

If you need special testing accommodations due to a documented disability, please contact the Disability Resource Center at (203) 392-6828. If you have general questions or experience registration difficulties, please email the English & World Languages Placement Coordinator at, or the Math Placement Coordinator at, or call the Academic Advisement Center at (203) 392-5367.

At Southern you will find a close-knit community of professors and students on a shared educational journey toward individual excellence!  Please visit our Academics website for more information:

  • A searchable directory of programs and department websites.

  • Catalogs containing important policies, program requirements, and academic maps.

  • Review our Liberal Education Program (LEP) and a list of approved courses.

  • Additional opportunities such as Honors College, Research and Innovation, and Study Abroad.

Students must apply to receive their degree or certificate, graduation is not automatic.  If you are uncertain when your program requirements will be complete, please speak with your advisor.  Diplomas and certificates are mailed approximately 1-2 months after the degree has been awarded.   

Undergraduate Application    Applications are Currently Unavailable     Graduate Application 

Deadline for Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 applications was October 1, 2020.

Missed the deadline?  Please email the Degree Auditor for your program from your Southern email account to request an application. If you find that you may finish at an earlier or later date, please contact your Degree Auditor to have your application moved to the appropriate term.


Visit Commencement » for more information about the annual event.  Undergraduate students must be cleared by the Registrar’s Office to be eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony.  Cleared students will include those who have graduated during the current academic year and those students who have earned more than 100 credits (including in-progress credits) and will be completing their degree during the current spring or summer term.

Reverse transfer is a process where credits earned at Southern may be transferred back to earn an associate degree at the Connecticut State Community College you previously attended, the credits you have earned at Southern may be applied towards both degrees.   

This is an important milestone, as students who earn an associate degree are more likely to complete their bachelor degree, and it can provide better job opportunities while in school.  Employers value the associate degree as evidence of your commitment to expanding your knowledge.

Eligibility Criteria

  • Must be an undergraduate matriculated student who has earned at least 15 credits at SCSU.

  • Previously attended at a Connecticut community college and earned at least 45 credits.

  • Note: Southern courses will be evaluated and are subject to the degree and residency requirements of the community college.

Students are notified of eligibility by the Registrar's office annually in January.  Eligible students may submit the Reverse Transfer Application to the community college previously attended along with an official Southern transcript. 

Current students who plan to take courses at another institution must receive prior approval to apply the transfer credit(s) towards their program requirements at Southern Connecticut State University. 

Undergraduate Transfer Request                                 Graduate Transfer Request

Students may search our database of transferable courses for schools within Connecticut.  Here is other important information regarding transfer credit for current students:  

  • Students must be in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.

  • Courses from regionally accredited colleges or universities are eligible for transfer.

  • Courses must be completed with a 'C-' or better to be transferred.

  • Students must submit an official transcript to the Registrar's Office showing proof of completion.

  • Students will not receive duplicate credit for any course in which they have already earned credit.

  • Transferred credits are not computed into the student’s cumulative GPA at Southern.

Please Note: Students who will not be concurrently enrolled at Southern during the fall or spring semester must also submit a Leave of Absence form to maintain matriculation status.