Search Number: S20-033
Rank: Associate or Full Professor
Location: New Haven, CT
Post Date: 2/4/2020
Start Date: August 2020
Located in historic New Haven, a city rich in art and culture, Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice. SCSU is a flourishing community of approximately 10,000 students, located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, with easy access to New York and Boston.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities
The Department of Music at Southern Connecticut State University invites applications for the position of Chair of the Department of Music. This is a tenure-track position at the rank of associate or full-professor, commensurate with qualifications. The department is seeking a strong, dynamic, and charismatic leader who brings relevant academic and administrative experience to the position. Candidates should be prepared to teach courses in the department’s curriculum, with preference given to applicants with experience teaching courses in Music Technology.
The Department Chair is expected to:
- demonstrate administrative leadership to faculty and staff members
- assess departmental faculty and staff as required by collective bargaining and department bylaws
- teach 1-2 courses each semester
- model excellence in teaching
- maintain an active program of scholarship/creative activity
- oversee the regular operations of the department (i.e. budgeting, scheduling of classes, personnel matters, personnel searches, student concerns, etc.)
- develop and assess initiatives focused on the recruitment and retention of students
- develop opportunities to engage with alumni and community stakeholders
- demonstrate an interest and ability to build relationships with current and prospective donors
The Music Department was recently accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) and seeks to rapidly develop a Music Therapy program in the coming years. The Department currently offers a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Music in addition to many courses that serve the institution’s Liberal Education Program. With a steady enrollment of 45-50 music majors, the core music curriculum includes music theory, ear training, Western and non-Western music history, improvisation, electronic music/music technology, various performance ensembles, and applied lessons. The degree also requires an area of specialization - either Music Traditions or Music Technology.
The vision for the Department of Music at Southern Connecticut State University is to continue to offer high-quality music courses and performance experiences while expeditiously developing a robust Music Therapy program. Our mission is to provide a diverse student population with training and experiences in a variety of musical styles. Through music, the Department engages both the University and the greater southern Connecticut Region. The successful candidate will be engaged by these goals and eager to work toward their fulfillment.
- DMA or Ph.D in Music
- 3-5 years of full-time teaching experience in higher education
- An established record of creative activity/research
- A clear and demonstrable commitment to excellence in teaching
- Previous administrative/leadership experience that would demonstrate the applicant’s capacity to effectively serve as Department Chair
- Previous experience as a department chair or program director
- Evidence of collaborative administrative leadership within a university
- Experience in teaching courses in Music Technology similar to those offered at SCSU
- Experience working within a collective bargaining environment
- Experience in working with accreditation agencies
Please submit electronically a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, official graduate transcripts, and at least (3) references with email and phone contact information to: Search Committee Chairperson, Department of Music, c/o Mr. Oscar Clark (Administrative Assistant for the Music Department) at ClarkO1@southernct.edu. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by March 15, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.