(This is a temporary, part-time position which may be renewed at the discretion of the University.)
This University Assistant position is contracted to provide daily animal care and husbandry for laboratory animals. The UA is expected to work between 7-10 hours per week, including weekends and holidays. The primary investigator of the lab will establish the exact schedule.
- Cleaning and changing of animal cages and related cages accessories.
- Feeding and manual watering of animals; colony maintenance (e.g., sweeping, mopping, trash removal, etc.).
- Observing and examining animals to detect signs of illness and determine the need of services from veterinarian.
- maintain records concerning the activity of facility, and animal treatment.
- taking immediate action to address any safety concerns or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, animal, or the organization at risk.
- stocking areas and spot-cleaning colony and lab areas.
- keeping supervisor informed of animal behavior, health, or concerns; placing orders and maintaining colony inventory; additional duties as needed.
Desirable candidates will possess a High School diploma or equivalent and the following qualities: ability to schedule and prioritize work; ability to work independently and follow guidelines; highly responsible and dependable; experience and desire to care for animals.
A preferred applicant for the University Assistant position would have an associate or bachelor’s degree in a science-related field and prior experience handling and caring for small laboratory animals (e.g., rodents).
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Kelly Bordner at BordnerK2@southernct.edu. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. The expected start date is as soon as possible.