Posted: April 6, 2022
Hours: Full-Time, 40 Hours Per Week
Search #: MC22-001
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Department: Office of Human Resources
Southern Connecticut State University is an intentionally diverse and student-centered University dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice. Founded as a teacher’s college in 1893, Southern has evolved over the past century into a comprehensive public university of more than 8,000 students, offering graduate and undergraduate programs in the liberal arts and professional disciplines. It is one of four universities in the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System. The University is located in New Haven, a city rich with arts and culture, and less than 90 miles from New York City and 140 miles from Boston.
Reporting to the University Human Resources Administrator, the Associate in Human Resources provides a full range of professional-level services in support of the management of the university 's human resources. The range of human resource services may encompass several functional areas such as employment, job analysis and classification, benefits administration, employee orientation and benefits enrollment, employee communications, employee records and substantial support for the university 's labor relations function, The depth of support services involve a requirement for significant seasoning and experience in the practices of human resource management. Services may be provided for unclassified positions, but may also include services for classified staff and support for human resource services for faculty.
- Processes all payroll transactions for full-time unclassified employees in Core-CT and Banner. Works with the Payroll department to assure all employees are paid properly.
- Meets with new classified employees, and assists with unclassified employees, to explain the benefit package and available options. Works with the employee to have the necessary paperwork and application material processed.
- Coordinates the tuition waiver process for unclassified employees and processes tuition
- Responsible for the collection and tracking of Property Checklists for separating employees.
- Works in conjunction with the Office of Diversity & Equity in preparing data statistics for the annual Affirmative Action Plan.
- Prepares all unclassified appointment and renewal letters and materials in accordance with stated conditions of employment for review by the Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Maintains employee personnel files and business files in accordance with established procedures. This includes scanning new full-time employee files, as well as managing the termination of full-time employee files
- Assists employees with processing forms for changes in staff information such as name changes, changes in beneficiaries, changes in benefit plans, etc.
- Coordinates the destruction of employee files in conjunction with the University’s Records Management Liaison Officer and the Connecticut State Library.
- Coordinates the process of appointing volunteers.
- Completes verification of employments for full-time employees.
- Conducts background investigations for all new hire unclassified employees and volunteers.
- Coordinates the administration and collection of evaluations (annual, initial, and promotional) for unclassified. Monitors reappointment and continuing appointments, issuing letters when appropriate.
- Assists with maintaining and updating the Human Resources department website.
- Initiates the notification to all applicable departments at the University regarding the transferring or separation of employees.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities related to those enumerated above which do not alter the basic level and responsibilities of the position.
Incumbents must possess proven ability to effectively work with a culturally, linguistically, and ethnically diverse faculty, staff, and student. They are expected to have excellent oral and written communication skills along with strong information technology literacy skills such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, etc.). Incumbents are required to have demonstrated advanced knowledge and abilities in the following:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Four years of human resource experience.
- Experience with high volume data entry.
- Strong technological background.
- Experience working in union environment with more than one bargaining unit.
Application materials must be submitted electronically. Applicants should submit their resume and a letter of application, along with the names, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references to Careers@southernct.edu. Please reference “Associate in Human Resources” in the subject line of all emails. A review of applications will begin immediately and the position will be open until filled.
Southern Connecticut State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.