Search #: S19-047
Job Posted: February 6, 2020
Rank: Administrator IV
Southern Connecticut State University is seeking a dynamic leader for the position of Assistant Director of Residence Life / Upper-Class Communities within the Office of Residence Life. Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice. Founded as a teachers’ college in 1893, Southern has evolved over the past century into a comprehensive public university of more than 10,000 students, offering graduate and undergraduate programs in the liberal arts and professional disciplines. It is one of four universities in the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System. The University is located in New Haven, a city rich with arts and culture, and less than 90 miles from New York City and 140 miles from Boston.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Residence Life for Residential Education and Community Development, the Assistant Director of Residence Life is responsible for the overall supervision of the upper-class residence hall communities. They coordinate the educational and student development mission, the maintenance, and the other administrative and programmatic aspects of the residential area. This position will also assist with the selection, training and development of paraprofessional staff.
- A Master’s Degree in student personnel, student affairs, counseling, higher education or a related field;
- Four years of fulltime experience in residence life and broad knowledge of residence life programs;
- Effective working relationships with students and staff, supervision experience; the ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated effectiveness at written and verbal communication;
- Strong interpersonal skills; attention to detail and problem solving skills;
- Direct experience working successfully with diverse populations, demonstrating multicultural awareness and commitment to working at a university with a mission of social justice.
- Experience developing community and living learning programs for upper-class students.
These qualifications may be waived for individuals with appropriate alternate experience.
- Provides leadership and direction for creating community and developing a learning environment to support the success of students living in upper-class residence halls. Supervises the Residence Hall Directors for upper-class residence hall communities. Assists Hall Directors with the implementation of initiatives relating to community development, educational programming, student learning, and student leadership development for the residential community. Supervises the security, maintenance, inventory and general operations of these communities.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures related to all residence life student employees. Assists the Associate Director of Residence Life in the coordination of the Resident Advisor selection process and the coordination of Resident Advisor and student employee training programs for all student staff.
- Assists the Director of Residence Life in the general operations of the Office of Residence Life. Coordinates Residence Hall Director and Graduate Intern duty schedules to provide optimal coverage to support incident response. Assists the Director of Residence Life in the training of new professional Residence Life staff.
- Assists with supervising staff response to student concerns and behaviors including investigation and adjudication of violations of the Student Code of Conduct and roommate concerns as well as works collaboratively with the Office of Student Conduct and Civic Responsibility to coordinate response to student behaviors. Renders assistance to resident students through counseling, advising and referral.
- Serves as the department representative for special events committees including, but not limited to, Spring Week, Homecoming and Week of Welcome.
- Serves as the primary advisor to the Residence Hall Association.
- Works with the Office of International Education to coordinate residence hall programming and services for international students.
- Serves as a primary on-call staff member for the Office of Residence Life and provides support for response to emergency situations and student incidents.
- Serves as a liaison between the residents, Director of Residence Life and other areas within the University.
- Assistant Director of Residence Life/Upper-Class Communities, Administrator IV Page 2
- Performs other duties and responsibilities to those enumerated above, which do not alter the basic level or responsibility of the position.
For full consideration, please submit a letter of application, resume, and contact information for three professional references to Yesenia Cardona at firstname.lastname@example.org. The preferred deadline is March 2, 2020 and the position will remain open until filled.
Southern Connecticut State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.