Department: Recreation, Tourism, & Sport Management
Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialization(s): Sport Management
Search Number: 22-019
Located in historic New Haven, a city rich in art and culture, Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus-wide commitment to social justice. SCSU is an innovative, student-centric university, located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, with easy access to New York and Boston.
The Department of Recreation, Tourism, & Sport Management has experienced increasing enrollments and offers undergraduate degrees in Sport Management, Recreation & Leisure Studies, and Tourism, Hospitality & Event Management. Additionally, the Department offers graduate degrees in Sport & Entertainment Management, Recreation Administration, and Recreation Therapy.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities
Southern invites applications from individuals who believe in the mission of public higher education and are committed to outstanding teaching and scholarship. Successful candidates will be disciplinary scholars devoted to a student-centric approach. The Department of Recreation, Tourism, & Sport Management seeks a qualified faculty member to fill a full-time, tenure-track opening with a start date of August 2022. Successful candidates will be expected to teach at the undergraduate and/or graduate levels as well as advising undergraduate student interns. Scholarly activities, productive service, and student advisement are required. Engagement with the sport business/practitioner community is expected.
- Earned doctorate in Sport Management or related field; ABD candidates considered. If ABD, candidate must provide evidence of earned doctorate by the time of appointment.
- Teaching experience that aligns with the department’s current Sport Management curriculum.
- Evidence of the ability to teach effectively at the university level and to engage in meaningful scholarship, including peer-reviewed publications and grant-funded activities.
- Evidence of excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Equivalent of two or more years of experience teaching college-level teaching courses.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and mentoring a diverse group of undergraduate students.
- Demonstrated effectiveness with teaching in a variety of formats (on-ground, hybrid, online).
- Demonstrated record of scholarship/creative activity.
- Professional work experience in hospitality or tourism management.
- Experience in the sport industry and/or in higher education environments.
- Experience in academic program development/coordination.
- Experience with and/or understanding of COSMA accreditation standards.
Please submit a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, and a list of three professional references electronically to: RTSM-SMT Search Committee Chair at RTSMsearch1@southernct.edu). Best consideration will be given to complete applications received by Friday, October 29, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.