Department: Special Education
Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialization(s): Applied Behavior Analysis
Search # 22-010
Located in historic New Haven, a city rich in art and culture, Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus-wide commitment to social justice. SCSU is an innovative, student-centric university, located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, with easy access to New York and Boston.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities
Southern invites applications from individuals who believe in the mission of public higher education and are committed to outstanding teaching and scholarship/creative activity. Successful candidates will be disciplinary scholars devoted to a student-centric approach.
The Department of Special Education is seeking to fill a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2022. The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching applied behavior analysis (ABA) and related special education courses at the undergraduate and graduate level. Faculty are assigned a 12-credit hour load each semester. In addition to teaching responsibilities, faculty are required to engage in scholarship/creative activity, service to the department and University, professional participation and student advising.
- Earned doctorate in Applied Behavior Analysis, Special Education, or related area.
- At least one graduate degree in Applied Behavior Analysis.
- Certification as a Board-Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA), in good standing, by the time of appointment.
- Hold or be eligible to receive behavior analysis licensure in the State of Connecticut
- Three years of full-time experience implementing the principles of ABA with individuals with disabilities.
- Experience supervising graduate students using ABA in applied settings.
- Evidence of strong potential for scholarly activity leading to peer-reviewed publications, external grants or other support, and presentations at professional conferences.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Verified Course Sequence instructor eligibility per Association for Behavior Analysis International requirements.
- Preference given to candidates who have both special education (K-12) and ABA experience.
- University experience teaching behavior analysis courses and/or special education courses with a focus in ABA principles, at either the undergraduate or graduate level in a variety of formats (e.g., on ground, hybrid, online).
- Developing and/or demonstrated record of scholarship/creative activity.
- Knowledge of federal and Connecticut state laws regarding the education of students with disabilities.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leadership roles.
Please submit electronically a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, official graduate transcripts, and three letters of reference to: Special Education Search Committee Chair at SEDsearch1@southernct.edu. Best consideration will be given to complete applications received by Friday, October 29, 2021. The position will remain open until filled. ABD candidates will be considered.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.