Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialization(s): Music Therapy
Search # 22-005
Located in historic New Haven, a city rich in art and culture, Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus-wide commitment to social justice. SCSU is an innovative, student-centric university, located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, with easy access to New York and Boston.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities
Southern invites applications from individuals who believe in the mission of public higher education and are committed to outstanding teaching and scholarship. Successful candidates will be disciplinary scholars devoted to a student-centric approach.
The Department of Music at Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU) invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Music Therapy. This full-time, tenure track position will begin August 2022 in support of the new bachelor’s degree program in music therapy at SCSU that anticipates enrolling its first cohort of students in Fall 2022. The successful candidate will complete 12 credits of load activity (including teaching, administrative responsibilities, or other instances of reassigned time).
Responsibilities for the position include
- Teaching courses within the music therapy curriculum, including Introduction to Music Therapy, Compositional Methods, Clinical Improvisation, Receptive Methods, Ethical Issues in Music Therapy, Multiculturalism in Music Therapy, and Psychology of Music (additional courses may be assigned based on the successful candidate's qualifications and department needs);
- Supporting the establishment and maintenance of clinical and practicum sites and coordinating and supervising clinical experiences for music therapy majors;
- Participation in recruitment and advising activities for the music therapy program;
- Ongoing creative activity (scholarship, performance, or composition) and professional activity in the area of music therapy;
- Productive service to the department and university through participation in committees and governance bodies.
- MT-BC credential and earned master’s degree in music therapy;
- Demonstrated potential as a high-quality instructor at the college level;
- Demonstrated potential for creative activity (scholarship, performance, or composition) and professional activity in music therapy;
- Three years of full-time clinical experience in music therapy or its equivalent in part-time work.
- Earned doctorate or ABD status in music therapy;
- Experience as an instructor in music therapy at the college level;
- Experience as an internship director or in coordinating clinical experiences;
- A track record of creative activity (scholarship, performance, or composition) and professional activity in music therapy.
Please submit letter of application, current curriculum vitae, and a list of three references to Dr. Joshua Groffman, Chair of Music, at MUSsearch1@southernct.edu All application materials must be submitted electronically. Best consideration will be given to complete applications received by Friday, October 29, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.