Specialization(s): Graphic Design
Search # 20-002
Located in historic New Haven, a city rich in art and culture, Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice. SCSU is a flourishing community of approximately 10,000 students, located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, with easy access to New York and Boston.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities:
Southern invites applications from individuals who believe in the mission of public higher education and are committed to outstanding teaching and scholarship/creative activity. Successful candidates will be disciplinary scholars devoted to a student-centric approach.
The Art Department seeks to hire a full-time, tenure-track faculty member, to begin August 2020, to support our established specialized program in Graphic Design within a multi-dimensional department. The faculty member will teach a range of courses that support the Graphic Design concentration, advise and mentor students, develop curriculum, coordinate internships, supervise adjunct faculty, manage lab facilities, and participate in departmental recruiting while sustaining professional and academic work appropriate to the discipline. All faculty at SCSU share in academic advising and participate in department/university service. Teaching load is 12 credit-hours per semester.
Tenure-track faculty at SCSU are expected to pursue creative activity/scholarship in their area of expertise. These activities include, but are not limited to: research leading to publication of books and/or articles in academic and professional journals, exhibitions in the fine arts, efforts to seek funding in support of research and teaching needs, and contributions to workshops and conferences.
- MFA in Graphic Design (or related field), or equivalent terminal degree, at the time of appointment
- Strong skills and industry experience in Graphic Design and related areas
- Commitment to professional-focused, market-oriented curriculum
- Commitment to both teaching and creative activity
- Interest in developing and maintaining collaborative and collegial relationships within the department and across the University
- Teaching experience beyond graduate assistantships at the university level
- Leadership experience within large organizations.
Please send the following required submission items electronically in a single PDF to the Art/Graphic Design Search Committee Chair at ARTsearch1@southernct.edu:
- Cover letter which specifically addresses areas of expertise within the field of Graphic/Communication Design
- Curriculum Vitae
- 10-samples of professional work; 10-samples of student work (included in application packet as PDF); AND link to an online portfolio
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Name and contact information of three references
For best consideration, materials should be received by Friday, October 18, 2019. The position will remain open until filled.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.