FAQ for Students

Updated April 6, 2020

The frequently asked questions below contain information for students to aid in the transition from the physical campus to the online learning format. This web page will be updated as more information becomes available.

Academic Advising/Registration
Academic Continuity
Co-curricular Involvement
General Questions
Information Technology
Learning Support
Student Employment
Student Wellbeing
University Events and Celebrations
University Housing


Academic Advising/Registration

Q:  How will I meet with my academic advisor to register for Fall 2020?
A: Your assigned academic advisor will contact you to explain the method for your academic advising appointment.

Q: What if I don’t hear from my academic advisor?
A: If you do not hear from your assigned advisor by March 30, please reach out to them via email.

Q: How do I know who my academic advisor is?
A: Your advisor is listed on your degree evaluation with a hyperlink to their email address.  If your advisor is not listed, please email your department chairperson (contact information can be found on the SCSU website and Southern’s online directory).    

Q: I have not declared a major yet; can I meet with someone to get advisement about declaring a major?
A: Yes, Exploratory students have been assigned an academic advisor in one of the Academic Advising Centers (AACs). Please visit the Academic Advising's website for more information, including contact info and appointment scheduling links.

Q: I need to declare a major and would like to do so before course registration; how do I do so?
A: You can declare/change your major using the online Selection of Degree form.  

Q: If I change my major, will I be able to meet with an advisor in my new academic department prior to course registration?
A: If you change your major on the same day you register for courses, you may need to wait a few days before you are assigned a new advisor in your newly declared department. If you find yourself in that situation, contact the Department of Academic Advising and they will help you find the appropriate person.

Q: Will there be any changes to the course withdrawal deadlines?
A: Students may select to withdraw from any course in Banner Web>>Student Services>>Registration by May 1, 2020. It is highly recommended you talk to your advisor or to someone in the Academic Advising Center before taking this action. It may be that you can talk to your instructor and receive an incomplete instead.

Q: Will students still register on their designated day?
A: Yes, registration dates remain the same on the Fall 2020 calendar.  Students will register by class (i.e. Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior, Senior) determined by their number of earned credits.   

Q: How do I check my registration status?
A: To look up your current class standing, please review your degree evaluation or visit Banner Web >> Student Services >> Student Information. 

Academic Continuity

Q: What if I am not progressing through my classes as I should be? What options are available to me?
A: Pass/Fail: Students will have the opportunity to choose the pass/fail option for many of their courses.

  • Before selecting the Pass/Fail option, we encourage you to first work with your instructors to discuss your progress, and consider the possibility of taking an Incomplete, which allows you to earn a letter grade for the course with more time.
  • However, there may be some instances this semester where you feel that the option of a pass-fail is the right choice for you. To help you make the decision, talk to your advisor and learn more about the policy at Pass-Fail Option for Spring 2020; some exclusions may apply.
  • A Pass-Fail Contract must be submitted to your advisor by May 1, 2020.

A: Incomplete: Students may request an incomplete grade which will give them until September 25, 2020 to complete and submit outstanding coursework.

  • An extension may be granted by the instructor for additional time, if needed, or as an alternative, you will have the option to withdraw late from the course.  
  • An incomplete grade must be requested by the student to the instructor prior to the end of the semester.

A: Withdrawal If you are not able to successfully complete a course this semester, you may decide to withdraw from it.

  • This is a very difficult decision to make, as you will not receive credit for the course or a grade (a “W” will be recorded next to the course on your transcript).
  • It is highly recommended you talk to your advisor or to someone in the Academic Advising Center before taking this action. It may be that you can talk to your instructor and receive an incomplete instead.
  • You may select to withdraw from any course in Banner Web>>Student Services>>Registration by May 1, 2020.

Q: Will summer classes be online?
A: Summer session A will be fully online, but determinations have not been yet made about Summer Session B.
A: Certain programs require clinical, fieldwork, or lab work, and those issues are being worked through by individual programs and will be communicated directly to students when information becomes available.

Q: What if I have questions about a specific course or my academic program?
A: Questions about a specific course should be directed to the instructor of the course. Questions about a specific academic program should be directed to your academic advisor, program coordinator, or to the appropriate academic department.

Q: Will classes be online through the remainder of the semester?
A: Yes, courses will be via remote instruction for the remainder of the semester.

Q: Will class times be the same?
A: Yes, most classes will continue to meet virtually during the same class times. Some faculty may set up their class to work so that students won’t need to all be virtually present at the same time
Each professor will have clear instructions as to how their remote classes will work.

Q: What if I become sick and cannot complete coursework on time?
A: You should make contact with your course instructors and follow guidelines outlined in your course syllabi with regard to completion of work and absences.
If you become sick or have a circumstance that prevents you from completing your course work for an extended period of time and need assistance in navigating your circumstances, please contact the Dean of Students office at deanofstudents@southernct.edu.

Q: How will online learning affect my ability to graduate?
A: Students anticipated to graduate in May are expected to complete their degree requirements.
Academic departments are working to clarify any issues that are degree program specific and will communicate directly with their students.

Q: What if I need to do clinical or field work to meet my degree requirements for my program?
A: Academic departments with field work and clinical components are working to clarify implications and will communicate directly with their students with updates.

Q: What if I have classes that are experiential in nature?
Q: How will lab classes be completed?
A: Faculty for lab classes will communicate directly with their students on how to complete lab work.

Q: How will performance classes for credit be completed?
A: Faculty for performance-based courses will communicate directly with their students on expectations for completing course work for the remainder of the semester.

Q: How will final exams be administered?
A: Instructors will make determinations about the format and delivery of final exams and will communicate directly with their students.

Co-curricular Involvement

Student Involvement

Q: Being involved on campus is how I feel connected; how can I stay engaged with the university community?
A: University departments are exploring ways to create social and educational experiences for students to keep you connected to the campus community. Stay connected with Southern social media and your university email for the latest updates.
A: We will continue to send out the “This Week @ Southern” email to highlight various events that are being hosted by departments and student organizations.
A: Also visit OwlConnect.Southernct.edu for a list of events hosted by student organizations.

Q: If we had travel planned for the spring semester, can we still go?
A: At this juncture, all scheduled travel for the spring semester as has been suspended.

Q: If I paid to go on the senior trip, will I be reimbursed?
A: Yes -- the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership Development will communicate directly with students regarding reimbursement for the trip.

Q: Can student groups meet?
A: Student groups cannot meet in person, but can stay connected virtually using a variety of platforms. Be sure to check your Southern email for instructions from the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership Development, as well as student organizations for meeting details.

Q: Where can I go to get the most up-to-date information, and get questions answered about being involved?
A: Visit inside.southernct.edu/studentinvolvement for updates and information. We are available for live chat through our website.


Q: Will students be refunded room and board?
A: Residential students will be receiving a refund on their room and meal plan on a prorated basis for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester.

Q: Will commuter students who purchased a meal plan be reimbursed?
A: Commuter students who have purchased a meal plan will be refunded on a prorated basis for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester.

Q: If after a credit is applied to my account and I am due a refund, when will I receive it?
A: If after applying the credit to your account you are due a refund, the timing of receipt will depend on whether you have direct deposit or if the refund will be coming via mail.  

Q: How can I sign up for direct deposit?
A: we strongly encourage students to sign up for Direct Deposit as this will expedite your refund.

Q: What if I have additional financial needs that affect me?
A: If you have additional needs, please send a note to the Dean of Students Office at deanofstudents@southernct.edu and a member of the Dean of Students team will try to assist you.

Q: Who do I contact if I have a question about my refund, payment methods, or due dates?
A: Please contact the Student Accounts Office by phone (203)392-6140 or email studentaccounts@southernct.edu.

Financial Aid

Q: How do I best get in contact with Financial Aid now that the university is closed?
A: Email financialaid@southernct.edu or call our main office at (203) 392-5222 from 8:00am-4:30pm.

Q: If I received a scholarship from the SCSU Foundation, is there any impact now that classes have moved online?
A: Not at all! As long as you are still registered for the classes it doesn’t matter if they are online or in person

Q: If I used financial aid to pay for housing, will those funds be returned?
A: Universities have been advised by financial aid governing bodies to wait for guidance from the government. Updates with regard to aid will be made available to students when they are known.

Q: Are there any changes to my financial aid now that classes have moved to an online format?
A: Not at all! As long as you are still registered for the classes it doesn’t matter if they are online or in person.

Q: How do I get documents to the Financial Aid office if the office is physically closed?
A: Attach and email them to financialaid@southernct.edu

Q: What if I have a specific question about my individual financial aid?
A: Individual questions about a student’s aid should be directed to financialaid@southernct.edu

General Questions

Access to Campus

Q: What if I rented textbooks from the bookstore or would like to sell books back at the end of the semester?
A: The bookstore is working on the process to manage the return of book rentals and the book buy-back process. A university email will be sent to students with full details.

Q: What if I have university equipment that needs to be returned?
A: Students who are using university equipment will receive instructions from the respective department from which they borrowed materials.

Information Technology

Q: Will the Help Desk remain open while the university is closed?
A: Due to the high volume of requests, we strongly encourage you to review the published documentation and reach out if you have additional questions. You can contact us by emailing helpdesk@southernct.edu or calling (203) 392-5123.

Q: What resources does the Help Desk have for students?
A: Visit the website below to find a plethora of Help Desk resources to help you navigate your technology needs. https://helpdesk.southernct.edu/sims/helpcenter/common/layout/SelfHelpHome.seam?inst_name=southernct

Q: What if I don’t have internet?
A: There are various internet providers that are offering free or reduced internet to students and/or low income households:

Q: What if I don’t have a computer?
A: In some situations, students may qualify for a loaner computer/device from the Center for Educational and Assistive Technology (CEAT).

Q: Many of the platforms that my instructors are using are new to me; where can I learn more on how to use Microsoft Teams, Zoom, and other platforms?
A: For more information on how to use Southern’s various platforms, please check out our video tutorial library: https://media.southernct.edu/. You may want to explore the links below:

Learning Support

Academic Success Center

Q: Will I be able to access the services of the Academic Success Center?
A: During this time, the Academic Success Center will maintain the same hours and offerings online as we did within the physical location.

  • Sunday                              4:30-8:00pm
  • Monday – Wednesday    8:00am-9:00pm
  • Thursday                           8:00am-8:00pm
  • Friday                                 8:00am-4:30pm

Q:  Will I be able to receive tutoring and academic success coaching?
A: Yes – all appointments will continue to be made through SSC Navigate. The appointment confirmation a student receives will provide instructions regarding how to access to their appointment virtually.

Q: Will I still have access to math services?
A: All Math services will be converted to one/one appointments and can be made on SSC Navigate. There will be no drop-in services during this time.

Q: Will I still have access to Peer Academic Leaders (PALS)?
A: Students will need to sign-up for a session through SSC Navigate. This will continue to be group specific and multiple students (with no limit) can sign up for a session.  

Q: How do I schedule appointments through SSC Navigate?
A: Step-by-step instructions are available at the following link: https://inside.southernct.edu/academic-success-center

Q: What if I need support for a course for which the Academic Success Center does not offer support?
A: Students who need support for courses for which we do not currently offer support will need to email the main Academic Success Center email asc@southernct.edu.  We will work to find them the help that we can.

Q: What if I have other inquires about the Academic Success Center services?
A: We will have a Live Chat feature available for questions during all hours we are open. We will continue to monitor the main Academic Success Center email asc@southernct.edu and phone (203-392-8967).

Q: When will the services be available?
A: Tutoring, PALs, and Academic Success Coaching will begin Monday March 23, 2020.

Center for Educational and Assistive Technology

Q: What if I have technology signed out?
A: Students should hold on to the equipment loaned out from the Center until the University reopens. When that happens, Center staff will reach out to make arrangements for the return of the equipment.

Q: What services will I have access to while the physical campus is closed?
A: Students who use Read&Write for Google Chrome will continue to have access to the program and can reach out to the Center via email at ceat@southernct.edu with any questions or issues.

Q: How can students get in touch with Center staff?
A: Students can contact the Center by email at ceat@southernct.edu and a staff member will reply.

Buley Library

Q: What if I need resources from the library?
A: The library has the following resources available to students:

Student Employment


Q: Is Payroll accessible while the university is closed?
A: The Payroll Office is physically closed, but the Payroll staff is available Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 4:30 pm.

Q: What happens to my physical check is I am not enrolled in direct deposit?
A: All payroll paper checks will be mailed out by the Office of the State Comptroller until further notice.  They will be mailed via U.S. Postal Service to the employees’ home address.
NOTE: If you are interested in enrolling in direct deposit, please contact the Payroll staff:

Q: I am a student worker currently teleworking: Should I be completing my timesheet?
A: Students who are teleworking must submit a timesheet using the code REGTC (in the box that says Time Reporting Code) and then the override code TCC19 (in the next box to the right that says Override Reason Code). Your supervisor will enter the additional hours necessary to ensure that your bi-weekly payments reflect the average number of hours you have worked in the past, if those hours are more than what you are able to work today.
A: Students who complete paper timesheets should email the completed form directly to your supervisor. You can download timesheet forms at:  https://inside.southernct.edu/payroll/student-workers-and-federal-work-study.

Q: I am a student worker who is not currently working: Will I still get paid?
A: Southern has made a commitment that students with work study and institutional job wages will be continue to be paid this semester. If you’re no longer working this semester, you don’t need to submit anything – the average time you usually worked will be calculated for you.

Q: I have been locked out of CORE-CT. How can I get my password reset?
A: If you need to reset your Core-CT password, please email corepasswordreset@southernct.edu.

General Student Employment

Q:  If I applied for a leadership or student employment position, will the process still continue?
A: Individual departments that were or will be in the process of hiring will reach out to applicants directly.

Student Wellbeing


Q: Will counseling be available to students while we are off campus?
A: Yes. Counseling is providing the following services to students:

  • Students currently engaged in counseling will receive an email inviting them to continue services remotely.
  • Students new to Counseling may learn more information or schedule an appointment by calling (203) 392-5475.
  • Free confidential online screenings
  • Resources related to mental health emergencies
  • Support finding referrals to local providers
  • Workshops and groups to help students find a greater sense of connection. See the Counseling website for updated information on services.

Dean of Students

Q: What if I am housing and/or food insecure or have some other barrier to my success as a student?
A: Any students who are housing and/or food insecure or have other basic needs that may impact their ability to be successful in the classroom should contact the Dean of Students office at deanofstudents@southernct.edu. The Dean of Students team will try to support you to the best of their ability.

Digital Well-Being Resources

Q: Do any of the student well-being campus partners have content on social media?
A: Follow the following offices for daily wellness content:

Q: What fitness and wellness resources would you recommend?
A: There is a plethora of free online resources, a few of which we highlighted below:

Disability Resource Center

Q: Will students be able to utilize the Disability Resource Center?
A: DRC staff are available to you for intake appointments, questions, and support via phone, email, and web video. If you find yourself struggling with the online transition due to diagnosed disability, please contact our office at DRC@southernct.edu or (203) 392-6828.

Health Services

Q: Will students be able to utilize Student Health Services?
A: Health Services is available to assist you in maintaining your health 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday.

Q: How can I get into contact with the Health Services team?
A: There are several options to connect with the Health Services team:

  • Call Health Services at (203) 392-6300.
  • Schedule a telephone of video consultation through the patient portal using your SCSU credentials.
  • Contact Health Services through the secure message feature on your patient portal.
  • Email at healthservices@southernct.edu.

*Please note that we are unable to receive faxes at this time. Please upload your information into your patient portal or send a picture to healthservices@southernct.edu.

Q: Can Health Services assist me with screening and care for respiratory symptoms?
A: Students with cough, fever >100.4 and respiratory symptoms should follow the procedures below:

  • Access your patient portal and schedule a phone consult
  • Patients who are recommended for COVID-19 testing should be prepared to self-isolate for 3-4 days until the results of the tests are confirmed.
  • The provider may recommend a telemedicine consultation or may refer you to an Urgent Care Center or Primary Care Office and the student should notify the facility of their pending arrival.

Q: Can Health Services help me manage my prescription refills?
A: Prescription refills can be managed through email at healthservices@southernct.edu or by sending a secure message through your patient portal. Please include the name and phone number of your pharmacy and allow 24 hours for response to your request.

Q: Can Health Services help me manage other medical concerns?
A: As with other concerns, students should schedule a consultation and the provider will recommend a telemedicine consultation or refer you to an Urgent Care Center or Primary Care Office.

University Events and Celebrations


Q: Will commencement be held?
A: Commencement is cancelled for May 22, but no decision has been made regarding alternate formats, postponement, or cancellation. The commencement planning team will work on this and provide an update as soon as possible.

Q: If commencement is not held, will students still graduate?
A: Yes -- commencement is a ceremony to celebrate our students’ graduation, but if a ceremony is not held, it will not prevent the conferring of degrees. As long as students have completed all degree requirements, they will graduate.

Q: If commencement is not held, will students receive diplomas by mail?
A: While there is not a decision as to whether commencement will be held, students will receive their diplomas via mail.

Spring Awards Banquets

Q: Will spring awards banquets be held?
A: Individual departments that host awards banquets and ceremonies to celebrate the many accomplishments of our students will make determinations on an individual basis as to how they will recognize students receiving awards.

University Housing

Q: What are the procedures for moving out?
A: The Office of Residence Life is working to solidify the move-out process and will communicate directly with students.

Q: What if I can’t get to campus during the designated move-out period?
A: Any extenuating circumstances that would prevent you from retrieving your belongings during the designated move-out period should be communicated to Residence Life.

Q: What if I am housing insecure?
A: Any students who are housing insecure should contact the Dean of Students office at deanofstudents@southernct.edu as we are unable to house students on campus at this time.

Q: Will we receive refunds for room and board?
A: The University is working on our process for refunds for room and board for the remainder of the semester and will communicate that information directly to students when the information becomes available.

Q: Will there be any changes to the housing deposit due date?
A: The Office of Residence Life is working on a process to provide an extension to students and will communicate directly with residential students with these details when they have them.

Q: Will the room selection process continue?
A: Yes, the housing selection process for fall 2020 will continue. Specific information regarding the room selection process will be communicated directly to students who have paid their housing deposits and are eligible to participate in the lottery.

Q: What if I have mail or packages that are being delivered to my campus address?
A: Mail will be forwarded to students’ permanent addresses at least once each week.