FAQ for Staff

This page will no longer be updated. Please visit Reopening 2020 for the latest information.

Updated May 22, 2020

Business Office/Purchasing (P-Cards)/Payments/HootLoot

General Campus Updates

Health and COVID-19/Coronavirus questions

HR/Payroll/CoreCT/UA Information


Business Office/Purchasing (P-Cards)/Payments/HootLoot

Q: How can I make a purchase during the campus shutdown?
A: Here are two ways:

  • University P-Card - Wherever possible, the university encourages the use of your university p-card to make any necessary purchases. If you have questions regarding the use of the p-card, please feel free to contact either Robin Kenefick (kenefickr1@southernct.edu ) or Cynthia Shea-Luzik (shealuzikc1@southernct.edu ).
  • Purchase Requisitions - The Procurement Services Department will still be accepting, and processing, purchase requisitions during this time. In order to assist us in processing your request, please scan and e-mail your completed purchase requisition to Cynthia Shea-Luzik.

Q: What if I purchased some meals, will I be reimbursed?
A: At this point in time, any meals you may have purchased will not expire.

Q: Am I able to purchase office supplies?
A: You may purchase office supplies at this time using the regular process. However, university personnel are not allowed to have packages delivered to their homes. This includes Staples orders. They should be shipped to Receiving, then picked up. Receiving is open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10 a.m. to noon. Please call ahead to assure your package has arrived (203-392-6071).

General Campus Updates

Q: What are the university’s expectations for me as a telecommuter?
A: All employees who are now teleworking can direct any specific questions on work assignments and requirements to their managers, but in general all are expected:

  • to be performing their roles to the best for their ability from home
  • to be available online via email or phone during their normally scheduled hours
  • to be actively monitoring email and voicemails sent to email
  • to be available to return to their work site during normal working hours when requested by their manager

Q: What events will be happening on campus?
A: All events are canceled until further notice

Q: What will happen with graduation?
A: We are in the process of planning a couple of alternative ideas. Watch the commencement website for updates.

Health and COVID-19/Coronavirus questions

Q: What if I think I have COVID-19?
A: If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop symptoms such as fever, cough or difficulty breathing, call your health care provider for medical advice.

Q: What should I do if I am diagnosed with COVID-19?
A: Any employee who is diagnosed with COVID-19 should notify the HR department (Steven Weinberger, director of employee and labor relations, weinbergers2@southernct.edu or 203-392-5405).

Q: What if I am required to self-quarantine?
A: If you are directed to self-quarantine, we ask that you notify the HR department (Steven Weinberger, director of employee and labor relations, weinbergers2@southernct.edu or 203-392-5405).

Q: What other steps should I be taking if I become ill?
A: You should stay home, except to get medical care. While ill at home, you should:

  • Work with your physician for the most up-to-date best practices in establishing a treatment plan.
  • For more information, visit the CDC website on preventing the spread of COVID-19 if you are sick Full guidance: What To Do If You Are Sick (CDC)

Q: What happens if I become ill (COVID-19 or other illness) during the time that I’m telecommuting?
A: If you become ill while teleworking and cannot perform your duties, report your illness to your manager and code your time sheet accordingly.

Q: I am ill with COVID-19 -- am I eligible for sick time or medical leave?
A: On March 18, 2020, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) went into effect. This law provides employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to the COVID-19 illness.  Download this brief summary (PDF) of the new benefits that will be afforded to employees.
If you have questions regarding the benefits, please contact AnneMarie Paone-Mullin at paonemullia1@southernct.edu or at (203) 392-5063.

HR/Payroll/CoreCT/UA Information

Q: How do I code my timesheet?
A: Timesheet coding during the COVID-19 crisis, starting with the pay period 3/12/20–3/26/2020:

REG - Employees that are working (Level1 formerly essential)

REGTC - Employees that are working remotely from home should use this time reporting code in conjunction with override reason code TCC19

timesheet snippet


LOPD - This time reporting code should be used for "Authorized Paid Leave."

  • Those employees who are not working remotely because telework is not possible may use this code in conjunction with the Override Reason Code PDC19 (this must be approved by supervisor).
  • Those employees who are unable to work due to the SCHOOL, DAYCARE or TRANSPORTATION CLOSURE (when not teleworking) should use LOPD code in combination with the Override Reason Code BCC19 (time off limited up to 14 calendar days /must be approved by supervisor).

Personal Illness/ Caregiver of a family member who is sick with COVID-19 must contact HR for appropriate leave and to obtain timesheet coding.

Employees with scheduled absences should mark timesheets in accordance with the reason for the planned absence (sick leave, vacation, personal leave, etc.).

Q: Where and when will I get my paycheck?
A: In an effort to comply with Governor Lamont’s directives related to the coronavirus/COVID-19 and social distancing, the Payroll Office is closed physically but open electronically. All payroll paper checks will be mailed out by the Office of the State Comptroller until further notice. They will be mailed via U.S. Postal Service to employees’ home addresses.

NOTE: If you are interested in enrolling in direct deposit, please contact the Payroll staff: Linda D’Addio, Kenneth Pereira, Beth Winiarski, or Kommaly Xayasone.

Q: What is the deadline for submitting my timesheet?
A: Please follow existing payroll guidelines and have your timesheet submitted by 8 p.m. on the last Thursday of the pay period. This will allow your supervisor time to approve it on Friday and avoid any interruptions in processing your paycheck. Now more than ever, we need timely submissions.

Download the Payroll calendar

Q: Is there a process to pay the UAs that work in our office?
A: During this time when campuses are closed, we know that some of you are able to continue your jobs remotely and others, unfortunately cannot. However, Southern has made a commitment to continue to pay its University Assistants -- either for the hours that you are working, or the average weekly hours that you worked before the closure of campus.

If you are working remotely, coding your timesheet is simple: just submit your time as you normally do for the hours you have worked. If you submit your hours online, there is no change from the normal procedure save that you use the code REGTC and override code TCC19 instead of the REG that you would customarily use. If you are on a paper timesheet, please email the completed form directly to your supervisor.

This process will be implemented with the timesheet for the pay period ending 3/26/20, covering the period from 3/13/20 to 3/26/20, and continue through the already scheduled end date for your work appointment. For many people that date is 6/30/20. Your supervisor will enter additional hours necessary to ensure that your bi-weekly payments reflect the average number of hours you have worked in the past, if those hours are more than what you are able to work today. If you are not currently working, your supervisor will enter the average number of hours that you typically work.

Again, now more than ever, we need timely submissions.

And please stay in contact with your supervisor as we go through the spring semester.

If you need to reset your Core-CT password, please email corepasswordreset@southernct.edu.

If you have a question about this process, please email Loren Loomis Hubbell at loomishubbl1@southernct.edu.


IT/TECH/Software (Teams, WebEx)

Please visit the SCSU IT COVID-19 resource page for the most up to date information.

Q: How can I remotely connect to my desktop
A: In the event that you would need to remote into an SCSU Windows computer, the videos below will walk you through each portion of the process.

Q: Will the Help Desk remain open while the university is closed?
A: Due to the high volume of requests, we strongly encourage you to review the published documentation and reach out if you have additional questions. You can contact us by emailing helpdesk@southernct.edu or calling (203) 392-5123.

Q: How do I get my campus mail?
A: The mail room will be open for pick up and drop off Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10 a.m. to noon.

Q: How can I answer my desk phone from my home?
A: This is done through Cisco Jabber:

  1. Download the VPN Client
  2. Scroll down to find the GlobalProtect VPN install video for your platform(PC/iOS)
  3. Then download Jabber

Q: What if I don’t have Internet at home?
A:  There are various internet providers that are offering free or reduced internet to households. Check with your home phone or cable provider to see what services they are providing.  
Links to major providers:

Q: How do I download Microsoft Teams?
A: Here is the link for the SCSU Teams support page : MS Teams Install

Q: What is Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)?
A: SCSU has enabled multi-factor authentication (also known as MFA) for all University accounts. This enhanced security feature will only occur when you are not connected to an SCSU network (computer lab, employee computer, SSL wireless network, edroam wireless network).  For more information: SCSU MFA Support page