Pass-Fail-Withdrawal-Incomplete Policy Updates

Dear Students, 

The faculty and administration at Southern recently approved changes to the Pass-Fail, Incomplete, and Withdrawal policies for Fall 2020 to provide you with every opportunity to achieve successful completion of your courses this semester, stay on track towards your graduation, and reduce the level of stress you are likely experiencing.

There is time for you to carefully consider and evaluate your progress in courses before deciding to request any of these options. It is extremely important to work with your advisor to discuss how these options might impact you.   

  • Pass-Fail Option:  If you are struggling to perform as well as you would like in a course, you may consider changing your grading option to pass-fail. This is not a decision to be made lightly or quickly.  We encourage you to first work with your instructors to discuss your progress towards course completion.  Please remember, however, that choosing pass-fail does not mean you can stop attending or engaging in the course; failure to participate academically can result in a grade of F due to stop out.  Talk to your advisor and learn more about the policy at Pass-Fail Option for Fall 2020; some course exclusions may apply. 

A Pass-Fail Contract must be submitted to your advisor by December 15, 2020.  Note: Forms will be available using this link starting November 17, 2020. 

  • Incomplete Option: After discussing your progress towards course completion with your instructor, and if the instructor has determined that you have a valid reason for not meeting a particular requirement prior to the end of the semester, you may request an incomplete grade contract to allow you more time to successfully complete the course

An Incomplete Contract must be submitted to your instructor by December 15, 2020.  

  • Withdrawal Option: If you are not able to successfully complete a course this semester, you may decide to withdraw from it. This is a very difficult decision to make, as you will not receive a grade or credit for the course (a “W” will be recorded next to the course on your transcript and will be counted in the Satisfactory Academic Progress calculation for determining future financial aid eligibility). It is highly recommended you talk to your advisor or to someone in the Academic Advising Center before taking this action. 

You may withdraw from a course online in Banner Web >> Student Services >> Registration thru December 15, 2020.

 Additional Academic Advising Support

Students are required to communicate with and get the signature of their assigned academic advisor to request a pass-fail. The  Academic Advising Centers (AACs) are available to provide supplemental support around these important conversations. Students can visit the Academic Advising Website for more information. 


The Registrar’s Office