Special Populations

Transfer Students

Navigating a new institution can be fun and exciting but may also present challenges. Southern has a number of resources available for transfer students. If you're a new, incoming transfer student and are looking for information regarding advising and registration for your first semester, please visit our "New Students" page. 

Transfer Student Services

New Student and Sophomore Programs

Non-Matriculated Students

Non-matriculated students are students who are not pursuing a degree at the University but are taking classes (Visiting students, high school students, etc). They are advised through the Department of Academic Advising. Students who have never taken courses at Southern and have not applied to the university must fill out the Web Registration for Visiting Students form in order to register for part-time courses. Contact us at 203-392-5487 to schedule an appointment.

Senior Citizens

Per Connecticut General Statutes 10a-99-d-3, tuition is waived for any resident of Connecticut sixty-two years of age or older who has been accepted for admission to such institution, provided (A) such person is enrolled in a degree-granting program, or (B) at the end of the regular registration period, there are enrolled in the course a sufficient number of students other than those persons eligible for waivers pursuant to this subdivision to offer the course in which such person intends to enroll and there is space available in such course after accommodating all such students. 

Senior Citizens who have never taken a course at Southern and have not applied to a degree program at the University may follow the steps below to register for a course: 

  1. Complete the Visiting Students Application to obtain a student ID number 

  1. Senior Citizens must also complete a Senior Citizen Waiver Request with age and residency verification from document choices listed on the form.  The form can be obtained by emailing studentaccounts@southernct.edu or calling 203-392-6140. Once completed, the form must be submitted to the Student Accounts Office in the Wintergreen Building or emailed to studentaccounts@southernct.edu with supporting age and residency documents. 

  1. Upon receipt of a student ID number and completion of the Waiver Request, senior citizens may register for courses online.  

Senior Citizens can begin registering when "senior citizen non-matriculated student registration" begins. You can view this registration date here. 

If you need assistance registering for courses, please contact advisement@southernct.edu