When exploring majors, it’s often easier to first identify the subjects you DON'T want to study. This activity gives you the opportunity to eliminate majors in which you have no interest, allowing you to then focus only on programs that are real possibilities. To get the best results, be sure to read through the instructions and suggestions below.
IMPORTANT: Take your time, sit down at a computer and FOCUS! This tool is most helpful when you can give it your full attention.
Click the "Major Exploration Tool" button (below) and follow simple instructions at the top of the page.
Ground Rule #1: If you don’t know what something is, leave it...for now. If you don't know what a particular major is, you don't know that you don't want it! It's like saying you don't like a particular food when you've never even tried it! You will have the opportunity to learn about these majors in Elimination Phase 2.
Ground Rule #2: Don't worry about career opportunities...yet. Only think about these majors in terms of what you would be interested in studying. Do not focus on job opportunities at this point in the exercise, as this will be discussed at a later time. For example, DO NOT eliminate English if you are interested in the material but are worried about job opportunities.
Ground Rule #3: Distinguish between a potential major(s) and interests/hobbies. Not all interests have to be potential majors. Try to differentiate between what is a hobby/interest and what you ACTUALLY want to study! Maybe you enjoy working with computers, but would you actually want to study computer science and immerse yourself in the classes that come with it (calculus, physics, chemistry, etc)? Should this be a MAJOR or remain an interest/hobby/passion?
Once you have gone through every major, SAVE YOUR LIST! You have completed Phase 1!
Take a Break!!! Give yourself a hot minute for your brain to relax so you come back and complete Phase 2 with a fresh perspective! Take a day or two and then get back to work!
- Access your saved list of majors by returning to the Major Exploration Tool (below).
- Click on the title of every major you DID NOT eliminate to view more information on that major. As you do this, you'll likely be able to eliminate more majors from your list. If you are still unsure about that major, leave it.
- Once you've narrowed down your list of potential majors even further, SAVE YOUR LIST!
- View the "Areas of Interest" box on the right side of the tool to identify which areas of interest are most relevant to you based on the majors you've chosen not to eliminate.
- Meet with an Advising Specialist:
- New Students: You will discuss your results/findings/thoughts during your New Student Advising Meeting.
- Current Students: Schedule an appointment with an Academic Advising Center in any of the areas of interest you'd like to learn more about. During this meeting, you will discuss your results/findings/thoughts as well as identify the next steps in your major exploration journey!