Latest News in Accounts Payable

CURRENT MILEAGE RATE - 58.0 cents per mile for travel on or after 1/30/2019.

TRAVEL BANS -Please note that Executive Orders 45 and 52 issued by Governor Malloy prevent state funded or state sponsored travel to Mississippi and North Carolina.

UPDATE TO TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION APPROVALS - Presidential approval for out-of-state travel is no longer necessary. Out-of-state travel will now require the approval of both the vice president of your area and the dean of your school. Presidential approval is required only if your area reports directly to the president's office.

To summarize:

Vice President


  1. dean approval is required for:
  2. OUT-OF-STATE TRAVEL in part or entirely from the operating fund*
  3. INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL funded in part or entirely from the operating fund*

*fund x12000, s12002, x21000, s21501

PLEASE NOTE: VP and Dean approval is also needed for out-of-state travel that is funded entirely from AAUP, SOUAF/AFSCME, and/or grant funds.

ESSENTIAL PURCHASE POLICY UPDATE FROM EXECUTIVE VP MARK ROZEWSKI - In March 2009 procedures were established to determine essential university purchases and/or expenditures. Purchase requisitions and direct pay vouchers, regardless of cost, required the review/approval of the President, Vice President or designee. EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2016, essential purchases and/or expenditures involving purchase requisitions and direct pay vouchers will require approval of the President, Vice President or designee only when the cost is $5,000 and above. Approvers for each division are listed in Appendix A of the policy.

Note: Above essential approval process does not apply to grants, student activity or bond funds.

UNIVERSITY P-CARD - SCSU has established a Procurement Card (P-Card) program designed to provide a cost effective manner in securing low cost goods. The P-Card eliminates the need for a purchase requisition, purchase order and/or voucher for these low cost purchases. In addition, the P-Card provides faculty and staff a convenient way to pay for travel related expenses such as registration and lodging without the use of personal funds. For more information on the P-Card program click here. You may also contact Robin Kenefick at ext. 25266 or at to get your P-Card today!

W-9 REQUIREMENT - All vendors must have an IRS W-9 form on file. For a new vendor to be established in Banner, the University must first receive a completed W-9 from the vendor. Please have the vendor send the W-9 directly to Accounts Payable or have them fax it to our secure fax at (203) 392-9990.

  • This form is used to collect accurate taxpayer identification information such as the vendor name, address and status (sole proprietor, corporation, etc) It will also provide the employer FEIN or, in the case of a sole proprietorship, the vendor's Social Security number. Accounts Payable will issue all new vendors a Banner ID number.
  • The information provided on the W-9 form is also used to report qualifying payments to the IRS via a 1099 form.
  • The W-9 is required only once unless the vendor's taxpayer information changes (e.g. name or vendor status, etc) and will be maintained on file in the Accounts Payable Office. To inquire whether the University already has a W-9 on file, please contact the Accounts Payable Office at x27244.
  • Please note that as we clean up our vendor files, we may be requesting W-9's for vendors that previously have been paid by SCSU but have no W-9 on file. The information on this form is extremely sensitive. Have the vendor send directly to AP. Do not make copies of W-9 forms for your records.